Author Topic: DNS - Referencing a single IP address from different domains  (Read 1615 times)

phoenix66

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi there,

There seem to be a few similar posts to this, but none that actually got answered, so I apologise for the repetition.

I need to be able to point to a single device from names on different domains.
e.g 10.10.10.10 is called host.example.local, but I also need to be able to reference it as host.example.com in order that clients can reach the server from both inside and outside the network (they will receive a WAN IP address from an external DNS server when they are outside).

Zentyal will not let me use the same IP address twice and using an alias across domains. e.g. if for host.example.com I create an alias of host.example.local, Zentyal accepts the entry, but lookups fail (presumably because Zentyal sees the alias as host.example.local.example.com).

This is a really common use case in split DNS environments, so I can't believe that it would be impossible. So what am I missing?

Thanks.

scoobymac

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: DNS - Referencing a single IP address from different domains
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 10:12:01 am »
If you login to the Zentyal server via a ssh client (Putty etc..) then edit /etc/zentyal/dns.conf and set the "allow_duplicated_ips" to yes.

<--snippet from dns.conf file-->

# Setting this key to 'yes' allows to add IP addresses already present
# in other hosts or domains
allow_duplicated_ips = yes

You will need to restart the DNS server afterwards although in my case a reboot was
ncessary as there were Zentyal updates waiting to be applied.
After changing this setting I can set the same IP address in DNS for hosts on different domains.