Author Topic: Open VPN wont connect after about 4 weeks  (Read 3329 times)

Milbs1979

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Open VPN wont connect after about 4 weeks
« on: May 29, 2019, 10:44:38 am »
Hi All,

I have an issue on my Zentyal Development Edition Server. Open VPN drops all user authentication after about 4 weeks. OpenVPN does not complete the TLS Handshake. If I regenerate the certificates and reinstall the client then the connectivity is restored. I have checked the certificates are valid and have recreated them to be certain.

As the users can reconnect with a reinstall I believe the networking to be set up correctly. I suspect there is parameter that is set somewhere to disable the access after a certain time. When the service stops it is for all users at the same time. This could be a coincidence though as they are set up at the same time (4 users total).

I would appreciate some guidance - Thank you

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Open VPN wont connect after about 4 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:41:47 pm »
I have the same issue ....... it is frustrating enough that I am thinking of moving away from Zentyal

royceb

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 01:28:40 am »
It's a problem with the default config that got shipped with Zentyal

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/158901-how-to-fix-openvpn-zentyal-verify-error-depth-0-error-crl-has-expired-on-ubuntu

Do steps 1 - 2; then in the web interface you have to re-sign all of the existing certificates and redeploy your VPN credentials to your client machines.
Modify message

Milbs1979

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:32:48 am »
royceb - Thank you for the reply. I will work through these steps later. I really appreciate the help.

Milbs1979

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 04:47:12 pm »
I worked through he steps and all is working fine now. Resigned and redeployed the certificates to the machines.

Thank you very much for your help.

royceb

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 09:25:26 pm »
If you can help us find a way to submit this as a ticket/bug i'd think they might push out a change/update

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 02:04:05 pm »
Please read this for a useful workaround https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/158901-how-to-fix-openvpn-zentyal-verify-error-depth-0-error-crl-has-expired-on-ubuntu

It seems it should be fixed on Zentyal 6.1

cheers
- Do my pigeons bother you passing over your land?
- They block the sun!

G. Guareschi., Don Camillo.,

Milbs1979

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 04:49:38 pm »
Thank you all for your responses and advice. As an update my VPN has been running now for over the 30 day initial period and all is well!!

royceb

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 05:12:13 am »
RE-Upping this.  Still persistent.  Did a new install on 6.1 and the defaul issue of the 30 - day CRL expiring breaking the entire VPN.