Author Topic: [SOLVED]Zentyal Grub error "/dev/mapper failed this is a fatal error" on install  (Read 3527 times)

Tfo052

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I built a file server out of old server equipment and decided to put zentyal on it but when I try to install zentyal it just shows the error "/dev/mapper failed this is a fatal error" when I get to the part to install grub. I have tried many things like creating a separate partition and setting it as reserved bios boot area but nothing has worked. The board uses Nvidia Mediashield Raid and I cannot (I think) create separate partitions on the disks for grub. Also I have 6 1tb HDDs and they are setup in raid 5.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

(The motherboard is an old Asus m2n-lr from 2005 with an Opteron 1210 CPU and 4gb ram)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:48:25 pm by Tfo052 »

HenryDrync

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I have just tried to install Zurmo for the first time and I keep getting the below error. I have tried doing a search online to find a solution but unfortunately have had no luck. Can someone please let me know what this error means and how can I fix it?

basselope

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
For Tfo52, as far as I remember:

Generally speaking, a) The Nvidia Mediashield Raid on your mobo only supports Windows and b) Linux can't put grub on a raid 5: you need a separate raid1 partition for it.

Some useful info here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID  and here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

If you're lucky and have configured things correctly, you may just need to specify the array name:

- switch terminal - Ctrl+Alt+F2

ls -l /dev/mapper

- check your array name

- switch back - Ctrl+Alt+F1 and input the array name

/dev/mapper/{arrayname} 

Tfo052

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Since basselope said that Nvidia mediashield only supports windows, I tried to put another hdd that was controlled by a separate sata card and installing it on that worked.