Author Topic: Can I upgrade 5.1 -> 6.0 my additional domain controller first?  (Read 147 times)

basselope

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 27
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Can I upgrade 5.1 -> 6.0 my additional domain controller first?
« on: January 29, 2019, 12:42:11 pm »
Hello,

Small business, about 35 computers.
Single domain, no Windows servers, only 2 Zentyal controllers on 5.1.3
Main domain controller is a dedicated physical server, additional domain controller is a virtual machine.

I was wondering if I can update the additional controller first, and if there's any special procedure.
The idea is that if anything goes wrong I can simply reinstall the VM, and if the upgrade works smoothly I can proceed to updating the main controller.

EightBits

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Can I upgrade 5.1 -> 6.0 my additional domain controller first?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 03:56:17 pm »
In the process of this right now. Stuck at setting up zentyal-dns (6.0)....
Been like this and running for around 13 hours now. I do remember when the ADC synchronized the first time around after the initial config, it took a long time - like a day to complete the sync. But this is a little too long in my opinion and may be an issue with packages that didn't get completely installed in previous updates (OR) it could be that I should have updated my PDC first. But I'm like you and didn't want to risk bricking my production PDC on a busted upgrade. In the end, I have a feeling I may have to fresh install and restore from a configuration backup. Undecided as of now and will give it another day. I've heard of the process taking up to a day for some upgrades from 5.13-->6.0 . If you do decide to go in this direction, I hope you have better luck than me. I'm no Linux expert and rely heavily on the forums for debugging and troubleshooting via SSH terminal. That puts me out a little due to the lack of open activity in forums like this one. I would only suggest that you take a snapshot of your VM before you pull the trigger just in case you hit a problem and make a config backup also to your local device. Let me know if you get success or have similar issues please as I believe we are in a similar boat.