Author Topic: Zentyal DNS  (Read 1255 times)

davidjm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal DNS
« on: December 13, 2018, 02:18:25 pm »
Hi,

Have a server running 4.2.12 handling mail and DNS but not yet DHCP. I have setup the DHCP on the WAN router and pointed DNS to the Zentyal. The Zentyal has a few standard forwarders (google et al) and everything seems to be running fine. When i bench test DNS the Zentyal reports as fastest, which seems OK. The problem i have is setting up machines name resolution within the network. For example I have a file server, who's hostname cannot be pinged and only resolves on some PCs. I have tried adding it to the DNS hostnames section for the domain but it still doesn't resolve. What am i doing wrong?

BerT666

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal DNS
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 04:28:30 pm »
I think it would be a lot easier if you setup Zentyal as DHCP, that way, you can easyly check why dns updates (...) are not working...
Do all Clients pull theri IPs from the WAN Router, or do some have a static config?

Regards

BerT

davidjm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 06:20:41 pm »
Hi BerT,

Thanks for the reply. Most clients pull IP from router, some such as the ESXi machine and file server are fixed.

BerT666

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:22:07 pm »
Do the clients where the ping (hostname) is working have somethin in common / or do the other clients have something in common?
does the fileserver resolve via fqdn?
if it resolves via fqdn, look after the search-domain ;-)

Regards

Thomas

davidjm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:09:28 am »
No not really, seems to be luck.

Have improved the situation by using Google DNS on the Draytek router and setting up a conditional DNS to point to the Zentyal box for domain DNS. So far so good.