Author Topic: (ASK)How to set gateway if input internet is DHCP  (Read 5042 times)

phat

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: (ASK)How to set gateway if input internet is DHCP
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 03:14:26 pm »
The topic itself states it very clear "How to set a gateway if INPUT INTERNET is DHCP".

This has nothing to do with internal DHCP on LAN. This is on the WAN side to cable modems or whatever you have.

I have for the moment given up on fixing this properly and done a quickfix setting the iface to static :\

See also my other post for details:
http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=1730.0

Sam Graf

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 04:15:54 pm »
Jeff's confusion is justified if for no other reason than he is using a DHCP-assigned IP on the WAN side, something you seem to be insisting doesn't work. As mentioned in this very topic, I've successfully used eBox (both release versions now) with my external interface's IP assigned via DHCP. I've also used it with a static IP.

So your "Still no solution?" post is in fact confusing to at least some, since it's not clear to me (and apparently not to Jeff) just what solution to what problem is needed.

That said, load balancing (per your other topic) is different from what I think this topic addresses. In that case, you're right that a gateway cannot be assigned to a non-static interface. That conversation can be pursued best in your other topic, I think, to avoid the potential for more confusion.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:24:04 pm by Sam Graf »

gpouser

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:22 pm »
You need to check how DHCP is given by your ISP, for VM - (NTL) the internet is registered against the MAC address of the PC that you use at first sign on that is with a SET TOP BOX, if you have a cable modem then there maybe no problem. I use to use IPCop but with a PCI network card that way you can assign it to VM in a Windows XP client then remove the card and place it in your system box (eBox)

phat

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 09:37:14 pm »
This is the case:

What part of this is unclear?

Edit: Read the first 2-3 post of this thread, I've just re-read them and its the same.
But okay, so there is no way to bypass this check? Cause the gateway obtained from dhcp server is and will always be the same. It's just the client IP leased that changes...

Sorry guys, we don't support this yet. There's a workaround though to bypass the check eBox does to see if the router is reachable. That's the problem as the interface is configured by dhcp, eBox doesn't know the assigned IP so when it checks to see if it's reacheable it complains.

If you want I can tell you what lines you have to change to bypass this.

Javi, can you please provide this workaround? If you do I'll donate :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:46:08 pm by phat »

phat

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
DIRTY SOLUTION :P
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 11:06:30 pm »
Okay, I found a dirty solution that worked for me, atleast until someone comes up with a better one;

Edit /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Network/Model/GatewayTable.pm

Uncomment (put an # in front)
Code: [Select]
$network->gatewayReachable($params{'ip'}, 'LaunchException');
Downside is that it doesn't check the IP entered at all, but I can live with that for now :)

Raddy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 01:13:31 am »
I used the workaround, but when I configure the gateway, I still get an error saying:
Code: [Select]
An error happened trying to set the default gateway. Make sure the gateway you specified is reachable.

I set up the external NIC (eth0) as a gateway and entered the IP address currently assigned by my ISP.  Where do I go from here?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 09:43:07 am »
We are currently working on DHCP-based WAN interfaces. We hope to get rid of these problems soon.

Sorry for any inconvenience and thanks very much for using eBox platform,
My secret is my silence...

aguerra

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 04:09:23 pm »
We have the same problem in the new instalations .... How I can fix this problem?

dragonslayr

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 08:50:10 am »
So you guys made me curious whether an ip alias would work.
ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.1.11 up

The plan was to set that static address. It should have worked but..

The short story is no, after I entered the alias interface into the ebox config. eth0:0, it blew up..   hehe

I had to clear iptables to get networking to work again..
Commands to clear are below in case you guys get any bright ideas as well..

iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -X
iptables -t mangle -F
iptables -t mangle -X
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

tekoholic

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 05:32:01 pm »
Wow, has this issue REALLY not been addressed since September?

My apologies...  I'm a new potential user / partner, testing eBox installed on Karmic (will stick with Lucid LTS, once in beta).

I've spent nearly 2 years bouncing back and forth between pfSense and ZeroShell, neither of which offer quite what I need, nor what my customers will need / desire.  I must say, I am AMAZED at the lack of support for this, as well as the lack of support for PPPoE...

I am STUCK WITH KARMIC, due to hardware support, so responses such as, "...stick with what we support..." are not welcome.  My OS has NOTHING TO DO with either of these issues, as well exhibited in these forums...

DHCP and PPPoE are both technologies that are as old as the first consumer high-speed connections.  How is it that they can be so badly neglected by a system claiming to be an all-in-one networking solution?
Zentyal 2.1.xx installed from CD, running on
P4 CPU 3.40GHz / 3GB DDR2/800 / 1x64GB SSD

My Zentyal Feature Wish-List:

IPv6 * LinuxMCE Integration * Blocklist Mgmt
x2go Module * Groups that actually MEAN SOMETHING
Roaming Profiles between Master and Slave Servers

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 03:09:58 pm »
As jsalamero replied you in this post (http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=2503.msg10857#msg10857):

We want eBox to be solid like a rock and new features need to be well designed, coded and tested. Things like DHCP are full of dark use corners that need to be addressed to get the things work.

I don't have much more to add. We have a lot of stuff to do and we work as fast as we can. We always try to have asap the functionalities most demanded for small bussiness, that is our main target. How many small business need multi-wan dhcp? We have only had a very few requests. Anyway, we are going to implement it, it's one of our priorities right now. Also take intou account that our releases are each six months (like Ubuntu ones), there hasn't been any new official release since September, so please be patient. Some times things are more harder than they look.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

tekoholic

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 08:34:33 pm »
Understood.  So, what can I do to help?  I apologize, but the needs are there.  I support clients RIGHT NOW, residential and business, that need what this project could be...
Zentyal 2.1.xx installed from CD, running on
P4 CPU 3.40GHz / 3GB DDR2/800 / 1x64GB SSD

My Zentyal Feature Wish-List:

IPv6 * LinuxMCE Integration * Blocklist Mgmt
x2go Module * Groups that actually MEAN SOMETHING
Roaming Profiles between Master and Slave Servers

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »
eBox Platform is an open source project, so you can contribute and speed up features in many ways:

- providing patches to the current modules to implement the features you want.

- if you don't have development skills, you still can contribute with working configurations or working setups well documented that the developers could easily merge in the modules adding the needed code, helps a lot having a well tested configuration that works.

- of course, documentation on eBox itself, tips, translations and testing is a very good way to contribute the project.

but this project is sponsored by a company called eBox Technologies, that offers custom development, training, support and other services for eBox Platform, see http://www.ebox-technologies.com/.

if you need a feature, you can't wait and you want to speed up things, maybe you should contact comercial staff and agree with them how to sponsor the development of what you need. even more, if you are giving support to your clients, you can get 3rd level support from eBox Technologies.