Author Topic: zentyal as an authentication center for my server farm  (Read 1214 times)

neni

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
zentyal as an authentication center for my server farm
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:55:27 pm »
Hello,
I'm in System Admin in my server farm I have several linux servers to administer, (Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS) in versions also dated.

I wanted to ask a thing,
My intention is to use Zentyal as an authentication center for all servers.
In order to have control over users (developers) who access via ssh to the machines.
I'm reading some documentation on likewise-open and samba in general.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

basselope

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: zentyal as an authentication center for my server farm
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:12:51 pm »
If you are looking for a developer/community product and do not intend to pay for support, do not use Zentyal.

It would work perfectly well as samba based active directory (easy to set up and manage through a sensible interface) but you would be on your own as soon as you wish to add more than a few other basic services.

I have deployed Zentyal here about a year ago, and had a few questions I posted on these forums. Most of them went unanswered, and when I did get some reply it was always from other users. Looks like Zentyal employees do not use the forum any more, except for some sporadic announcement about new versions.

Check out Nethserver and ClearOS (but there's more) before committing to this excellent but substantially dead product that is cutting down more options and packages with every release. It is hemorraging users day by day.

neni

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: zentyal as an authentication center for my server farm
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 04:55:06 pm »
Thanks for the answer, in fact I conscientiously fine Zentyal and I also have access to the ticket portal for the commercial version.

My goal is to have control of the linux servers, whether it's zentyal, ClearOS or anything else based on samba I do not care, I could also use MS Server and AD.

If it can interest I succeeded by following this guide:
https://www.tecmint.com/integrate-ubuntu-to-samba4-ad-dc-with-sssd-and-realm/

Thanks
bye bye