Author Topic: Zentyal 5.1 DNS Replication OR bind9 zone transfers  (Read 4231 times)

blechinger

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 5.1 DNS Replication OR bind9 zone transfers
« on: May 24, 2018, 02:28:35 am »
Hello! New to Zentyal and excited about 5.1. I was able to install the development edition from the ISO, select the roles I wanted, and was up and configured in no time! :) The two major roles I'm concerned with are Domain Controller and DNS. I was able to stand up a PDC, configure a new domain, create admin users, create an ADC, manually add that DC to DNS, and see that changes made on the ADC are reflected back to the PDC without any special configuration. Great stuff.  ;D

I went poking around for forums / posts / articles about DNS Replication or bind9 zone transfers. The best information I could find was this forum post: https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=10206.0 - from SIX YEARS AGO! Surely we've made some progress since then? :)

Does Zentyal 5.1 have any DNS replication or zone transfer capability baked in? Is there more relevant documentation or explanation than the ancient article I linked previously?

Any help or dialogue appreciated. <3

EDIT: 18 reads as of this edit and no replies. Anyone out there?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:49:35 pm by blechinger »

blechinger

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 5.1 DNS Replication OR bind9 zone transfers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 04:10:35 pm »
Seems I might've made a mistaken choosing Zentyal over some of the alternatives. This community seems dead.

mrplow

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 01:32:27 pm »
Hi there

just wanted to say that I have the same problem here. I am thinking about creating a script with rsync for the Zentyal DNS files, but I'm not sure if that will work.

Problem I see with the zone transfer is that Zentyal generates the Bind files. So if you change something on the secondary Zentyal server it probably will overwrite everything.

I let you know if I'm successful...

...otherwise I'm interested in alternative products as AD and DNS replacement as well :-)

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 05:47:37 pm »
Hi everybody!

A very good replacement is NethServer. Try it and you will be delighted!
A very good Community too!

Unfortunately not for an Authoritative DNS Server.

I'm using Zentyal 5.1 as Authoritative DNS Server and I have issues with reverse zones.
The reverse zones are created only for domains (and subdomains) that have public IPs in different subnets.
For domains that have the IPs in the same subnet, the reverse zones are not created (can be created only for the first domain and subdomains).
I understand that this issue can be solved by modifying "named.conf.local.mas" but I don't know how/which lines.
Can you help me?
Thank you in advance!
Gabriel

ecc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 05:51:25 pm »
Can this page help: https://doc.zentyal.org/en/appendix-c.html ?

I'm looking for some assistance regarding zone transfers as the mas files overwrite any bind directives in named.conf.

jgould

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 04:08:42 pm »
I haven't seen this behavior from 5 through current 6 release. DNS updates from domain join clients show on both DNS servers. Adding a record to either DNS server and they show up on the other. Set DNS settings on my windows client to either DNS server and name resolution works the same.

The only issue I've had is that I have "conditional forwarders" and some "trusted networks" that I needed to add to bind9. To do that I edited the mas files (to survive reboots). But I guess because those fall outside the "samba" AD scope they aren't replicated between servers. I don't have many of them so I just manually add them to both.