Author Topic: Received Email marked helo command rejected need fully qualified hostname  (Read 2003 times)

mandoelp

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Im new to Zentyal, I need a basic email server for the office.   I have installed and configured to the best of my knowledge the email portion.  I'm able to send out via smtp connector.  but incoming emails are blocked by the error helo command rejected need fully qualified hostname.  I have looked for a setup guide and or white paper.  Using the documentation i have set up the server to the best i can. 

Thank you in advance

scottdr

• Zen Apprentice
  • Zentyal community edition 7.0.7
    • View Profile
Zentyal uses Postfix as it's Message Transport Agent (MTA). Normally legitimate e-mails from the Internet will always have a FQDN format. Local PC's or compromised PC's generally will just send the PC name. The restriction is contained in the configuration file /etc/postfix/main.cf and the restriction is  reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname. This file is created from a master config file main.cf.mas in the folder /usr/share/zentyal/stubs/mail. Always make a copy of any file you modify before modifying. I tend to create a copy with the date. e.g. cp main.cf.mas main.cf-29052018. In my version of Zentyal 5.1.1 the line to be removed is line 48 "$smtpRecipientRestrictions .= 'reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname, ';"

After you have changed the line, restart the mail server and check that the reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname is missing from the new file /etc/postfix/main.cf.

Hope this helps you.