Author Topic: Getting eBox to work on ARM  (Read 4987 times)

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Getting eBox to work on ARM
« on: March 05, 2010, 05:54:54 am »
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-31-guruplug-server-standard.aspx Does anyone know if it would be at all possible to install eBox into something like this provided an ARM-compiled Ubuntu Server? Would it even work reasonably? I think it would be fantastic to use for so many reasons.

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Getting eBox to work on ARM
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:06:56 pm »
If all the third-party apps we used (squid, samba, asterisk, etc) build on ARM, eBox is Perl code which is platform independent.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »
Really? That's fantastic. Do you have a list of software that'd need to be used? I personally believe this is the future of small business and home servers for a multitude of reasons provided more people become aware of the architecture and software like eBox becomes available for it. That's why I'm on the track of even purchasing one myself provided eBox works on it, and I mean that.

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »
Keep in mind that some services need big resources like mailfilter or antivirus ...

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:10 pm »
So then it'd have to be a feature-cripped version :p. What if it was setup with DHCP, DNS, VPN, File/Printer Share, Firewall, IDS, and Webserver. Those are the most simplistic things that can run on lower-end hardware.

The important things there are the file/printer sharing and VPN because those are the most useful solutions most other ones do not provide at an adequate level.

alvinquah

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 04:40:33 am »
hi saturn2888,

FYI, i too have some idea on getting ARM to work in my early stage. But after some research, i realise that the resource consumption from ebox is really not optimized for running on ARM. yes, you can run a crippled version of ebox but ebox can fulfill it greatest potential when it run on the 2 more popular modules, for eg office and utm. Unfortunately, both modules consume more computing resource. that is why after much research and online review, i ended up getting a network appliance with embedded processor. It is small/low power consumption and well suit to install with all modules. I am currently running office and utm modules in my office environment. Just some sharing session for you....... cheerio

http://www.aaeon.com.tw/PD_Products_Detail_B7D68317D3A4400384_B0DF06449332400F88_C51B403644AA4E24B3_US_UTF-8.html

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:27:42 am »
Not bad. I'm still wanting to convert over to all Atom rigs, but I haven't gotten to the point where that's a viable option just yet for money reasons. Sure it'll save on power and will possibly add to computing power in some respects, but it'll also cost a lot. This is why I figured the plug was a better idea since the price will only go down and replacing it is far easier much as with your embedded system. Thing is, did you install eBox in that system? What version of Ubuntu Server are you using?

alvinquah

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:01:15 am »
did you install eBox in that system? What version of Ubuntu Server are you using?

I do encounter problem when i tried to install it using the ebox installer ebox because of the kernel packed for ebox installer. I perform a workaround by installing the harddisk on another machine and port it during the installation first reboot. Some changes are made to the udev rules to ensure persistent on the interface:mac binding.

Other than that, the rest is working fine and it has been running 24x7 since implementing.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:10:22 am »
That's not bad. Pretty good overall.

wolfgang

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:33:50 am »
Hi alvinquah,

Can you elaborate a bit in detail what needs to be done to install on Sheeva (ARM) also for linux newbies  ;D
Thanks, Wolfgang

alvinquah

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 05:43:04 pm »
Hi alvinquah,

Can you elaborate a bit in detail what needs to be done to install on Sheeva (ARM) also for linux newbies  ;D
Thanks, Wolfgang

Hi wolfgang,

i am not installing it into on sheeva but rather on an embedded VIA C7 processor networking appliance. See my previous post for the hyperlink. thanks

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 02:11:12 am »
We'd have to ask jsalamero if we want to know more.

wolfgang

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:29:29 am »
Jsalamero, can you help out? Can you provide some info how to get eBox on Sheevaplug or Guruplug to run?

The idea is not to run heavy services, but to have simple support services  for a small test lab (mainly test lab for remote access, I am traveling continuously) running with a GUI for easy configuration, like a MTA, NTP, DHCP server etc. no need for this application to run virus scan or other heavy stuff. My idea is to have the simple infrastructure running for the lab on Sheeva plug or plugs continuously (with low power consumption), including a access server like Barracudadrive (exist to run on Sheeva)   and have the eBox for other needed supporting services with GUI. Then when you really want to play around then you switch remotely with iobridge on your real PC server with quad cpu (and a PC Weasel card for remote BIOS change etc) and XEN and or Vmware and run your VM's for test with a other eBox in VM and all the other stuff you want to test. So for this reason the eBox on Sheeva would be perfect. I forgot to mention, Sheeva and Guru plug come already with Ubuntu (for ARM) installed. (other distros can be installed if needed)
Any help on this matter appreciated.
Thanks, Wolfgang
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:44:20 am by wolfgang »

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 01:46:13 am »
Well since the machine doesn't have any display output--I guess USB to VGA adapters might work--web browser or SSH access is your best bet.

wolfgang

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 06:58:46 am »
Hmmm, i was guessing the eBox can be fully operated via a browser GUI.....I am wrong?

On the other hand a Guruplug Display is also coming, same as other, but with HDMI out. http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-33-guruplug-display.aspx  there is also a existing version with VGA, but this is a bit to expensive http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-24-openrd-client-openrd-client-board-with-enclosure.aspx all of them come with Ubuntu installed.

Thanks, Wolfgang