Author Topic: How does SYSVOL replication work in Zentyal 5?  (Read 3441 times)

Keen Mouse

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
How does SYSVOL replication work in Zentyal 5?
« on: February 24, 2017, 12:20:14 am »
I have a PDC and two additional DCs, all running Zentyal Development version 5.0.7. DRS replication is working fine but SYSVOL replication is not happening. I was hoping someone could explain to me how it's supposed to work so I can troubleshoot it. I'm not sure what scripts or services are involved or where to look for logs.

The only somewhat non-standard thing about my setup I can think of that might be involved is that one of the two additional DCs was the original PDC running Zentyal 4.2.5. The current PDC was set up as an additional DC and then I transferred FSMO roles to it. I was just going to demote the original 4.2.5 DC but when I discovered SYSVOL replication wasn't working, I upgraded it to 5.0.7 to see if it would make a difference. It didn't.

Keen Mouse

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: How does SYSVOL replication work in Zentyal 5?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:11 pm »
Can anyone help me out here? I see that this post has been read several times, so there must be some interest in it.

vmb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:42:42 am »
No idea how Zentyal does it, but the following link is for how to do it for Samba4
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Rsync_based_SysVol_replication_workaround

Keen Mouse

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 07:45:30 pm »
Thanks. Yeah, I found that linked along with alternative methods here, but I'm still hoping to find out how it's supposed to work in Zentyal and fix it. Nevertheless, you're the only person to respond at all and I appreciate it.  ;)

Fex

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 05:27:51 am »
There is no sysvol replication in Zentyal. It is stated as a known limitation here https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/En/5.0/Users,_Computers_and_File_Sharing#know-limitations

I tried the workaround they suggested and seemed to be fine in a lab environment at least.
(keep in mind that you may need to enable root ssh access in the secondary server for the script to run because it is not enabled by default in Zentyal/Ubuntu. Modify sshd.conf and add a root password with "sudo passwd root". Also the script should be cron-ned in the root account of the main server).

Keen Mouse

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 08:19:20 pm »
I forgot to add an update to my post. I discovered the known limitation too, and have been successfully using the rsync method for some time now. Nevertheless, thanks for your response and tip.