Author Topic: dns, dhcp, and email configuration  (Read 1214 times)

nunchukbop

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
dns, dhcp, and email configuration
« on: January 13, 2019, 04:30:48 pm »
Hello, I have a pfsense edge router that I am using for firewall and dhcp server. I just installed a Zentyal server behind my edge router. Here are some of my configuration.

pfSense - dns pointed to the Zentyal server. Setup so that the clients get the zentyal server as the dns server. DNS resolver on pfSense is enabled.
zentyal dns - forwarders configured for external network servers (OpenDNS). I've added some known host ip addresses on the domain. These are reserved ips in the pfsense router.

It seems like I am putting the DNS resolution in a semi-circle here. Here are things that are not working:
1. The only hosts that are resolving are the known domain hosts. I should note that external DNS resolution is working (google.com).
2. My domain name is not being resolved when a client tries to connect on a web browser on a specific port. I've verified that the port is open and being forwarded in the edge router. For example, trying to connect to "https://<mydomain>.com" works when connected to an external network, but it times out when connected to the internal network.

Things I've tried:
1. I've tried adding my edge router as a DNS forwarder in the Zentyal server. This did not change things.
2. I've tried turning my DNS resolver off on the edge router.
3. If I remove a known host in Zentyal domain - the host no longer resolves.

What's the best practice here? Do I have to go through my edge router for DNS resolution? I wouldn't think so, but the DHCP leases are not registering with the Zentyal server - so something is broken.

This issue affects email. I try to configure my clients to use <mydomain.com> for incoming mail and it times out at setup.
Any direction or help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

nunchukbop

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: dns, dhcp, and email configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:38:34 pm »
If I do an nslookup on an internal client for <mydomain>.com:

DNS Request Timed Out:
Server: Unknown
Address: <Zentyal Server IP>

Non-Authoritative Answer:
Name: <mydomain.com>
Address: <my public ip>

nunchukbop

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: dns, dhcp, and email configuration
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 04:51:57 pm »
I removed a couple forwards in the pfsense router, now the domain is registering via nslookup, however, I still can't connect via a client in the web browser...