Author Topic: Upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) LTS to Ubuntu 16.06 (Xenial) LTS?? Zentyal 4.2.2  (Read 2584 times)

jppowell

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
When I log into the web admin and check for updates.  I apply all that appear there.  That's no problem.  From time to time, I need to clear out 2/3rds of the fils in the /boot folder to make room for the updates.

1) Can these older grub files be deleted automatically (and basically keep current version plus 1 version back)

Now, when I SSH into the Zentyal server, I see a message about upgrading the Ubuntu server LTS to the latest version.  Today, I tried this (after making VM snapshots) and completely blew up my Zentyal.  I reverted back.  I tried the other option (switch to the latest kernel) but that one made the web console unusable.  (you could log in, but that's about it)  Using the web admin from your computer works better

2) Can we upgrade the LTS to Xenial without loosing Zentyal?

Thank you in advance.

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
Hello,

The command " sudo apt-get autoremove ", delete old versions .

Ubutu server 14.4 upgrade to 16.04 is not a good idea it result in an bad working of Zentyal.

The new release Zentyal 5.0 is coming soon now? this release works with ubuntu server 16.04 LTS.

Best regards,
Ian

jppowell

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Thank you.

It does not remove the old files that are found in /boot directory.  Those are the the files I have to regularly delete in order to make the updates work.  These are files used by grub boot loader.  So, I dele all but the current and 1 version older.

As for the Ubuntu OS upgrade -- will there be a way to upgrade BOTH Zentyal 4.2.2 to 5.0 AND Ubuntu from 14.04 to 16.04 LTS?  Or would this require building a new VM and somehow migrating all the stuff over?

desperados

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
anyone has tried the upgrade from 14 to 16?