Author Topic: (Zentyal 3) No Root File System Defined during installation  (Read 4831 times)

ChrisZ

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
(Zentyal 3) No Root File System Defined during installation
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:30:12 pm »
I fought with this all weekend.

Server: Rackable Systems C2004, Intel S5000PSL Motherboard, 2 Quad-Core Xeon, 8GB RAM, 2 1TB HDD

I initially had the RAID BIOS (on the motherboard) enabled and the drives in a RAID1 configuration. I am running the Zentyal install from a pen drive.

The installer asks if I want to activate detected RAID and I select "Yes." There is some activity on the drives and a window saying something to the effect of "starting partition manager" shows up for a split second before presenting me with the error message, "No root file system defined." I was never given the option to automatically or manually partition the drives. I tried disabling RAID but that didn't change the results. The installer still asked me about activating the detected RAID system.

Chris

Sam Graf

Re: (Zentyal 3) No Root File System Defined during installation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:05:46 pm »
I'll be watching this with interest since I had similar problems with system RAID on Cisco servers.

opensauce

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:22:04 pm »
My first post but I've searched high and low on this one and it sounds like the same problem as the OP. I've installed several Zentyal installations with no problems.

I'm trying to install Zentyal 3.0.2 from a USB stick on an HP DL120G7 server with 2 x 1TB hard drives.

I tried setting up the hardware raid in the BIOS but when I got to the partition manager in Zentyal installation it showed both hard drives rather than the Raid.
I scrapped the hardware raid and decided to setup software raid in the partition stage as I have done several times in Ubunutu server. When I got to the partition stage in the installation I clicked on Manual to start setting up the raid but a red message popped up stating that no root had been defined. This was true as I hadn't got as far as that option yet.
The only way out was to reboot the server and I tried several times with the same result.
I tried an install of Ubuntu server using the same USB stick and it installed with no problem and allowed me to configure software raid.
I tried a different version of Zentyal 3.0.1 but I had the same error message.
Does anyone have any ideas or do I have to stick to non raid?
Any help appreciated.

Mike

electronico

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:05:11 am »
Hi all,

Same problem here :
- Choosing manual partitionning to setup mdadm soft RAID shows the red window telling "No root file system defined."

No problem with an Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS Server install.

Hardware : Z77 based motherboard (Asus Maximus V Formula), HDs connected to Asmedia SATA3 (6Gbps) ports, no motherboard fake-raid.

Hope to hear from Zentyal about this strange problem...

Edition : tried to plug HDs into Z77 SATA3 ports, same problem occured with Zentyal 3.0.2, and Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS Server 64 is in progress.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:17:06 pm by electronico »

christian

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:13:22 am »
I don't known what the problem is (from technical standpoint) but would advise, in order to either understand better or find a workaround, to try to install Ubuntu server 10.04 (if target is Zentyal 2.2) or 12.04 (if target is Zentyal 3.0)

If you can't install Ubuntu, then better post in Ubuntu related forum  ;)
If Ubuntu can be successfully installed, then you can either just install Zentyal packages or open support ticket because you - rightly - expect Zentyal installation to match Ubuntu installation.

Sam Graf

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 03:21:53 pm »
Hi all,

Same problem here

Hi, and welcome to both you and opensauce.

Regrettably my experience diverges from yours at this point. While I was unable to get the Cisco UCS C200 server-based RAID array to be recognized by Ubuntu, I could and did use software RAID. I can't recall doing anything unique relative to a standard Ubuntu setup. The main difference will be that I was installing Zentyal 2.2, not 3.0.

My only experience with 3.0 is on old hardware with vintage hardware RAID (separate card configuration rather than system BIOS option). That installed as expected.

electronico

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 05:46:51 pm »
If Ubuntu can be successfully installed, then you can either just install Zentyal packages
Nice !! I wasn't aware of this !
http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Installation/InstallationGuide
 ;D

PS : It's one of my first time tries for Zentyal, I've always all done via CLI
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:51:02 pm by electronico »

DarthWeasel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 07:57:58 pm »
I had the same issue when installing to a raid.  I found my motherboard allowed to switch from adaptec to intel based raid.  After setting up the raid under intel format the install had no issues!