Author Topic: After installing Zentyal 5.0 unable to use add-apt-repository and other utils  (Read 3369 times)

jclaggett

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Fresh Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 install, with a fresh install of Zentyal on top of it.  Installing Zentyal removed software-properties-common and any attempt to reinstall it now wants to basically kill my system by uninstalling a lot of stuff.

software-properties-common includes a much needed utility, add-apt-repository, and its absence is quite noticed.

There appears to be some really serious dependency issues after installing Zentyal 5.0

apt install software-properties-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  apache2 apache2-data apache2-utils archivemail auth-client-config autotools-dev fetchmail gcc gcc-5 gcc-6-base:i386 gnustep-base-common
  gnustep-base-runtime gnustep-common gnustep-make gobjc gobjc-5 laptop-detect ldb-tools libasan2 libatomic1 libauthen-krb5-easy-perl
  libberkeleydb-perl libc-dev-bin libc6:i386 libc6-dev libcc1-0 libcilkrts5 libcrypt-rijndael-perl libcurl3 libdata-hexdumper-perl
  libfile-libmagic-perl libgcc-5-dev libgcc1:i386 libgnustep-base1.24 libgpg-error0:i386 libgpm2:i386 libio-multiplex-perl libitm1 liblasso3
  libldb1 liblsan0 libmemcached11 libmodule-pluggable-perl libmpx0 libncursesw5:i386 libnet-cidr-perl libnet-dns-perl libnet-ntp-perl
  libnet-server-perl libnss-winbind libobjc-5-dev libobjc4 libpam-pwquality libpam-winbind libpq5 libpwquality-common libpwquality1
  libpython2.7 libquadmath0 libquota-perl libreadline6:i386 libreadline7 libsbjson2.3 libsope-appserver4.9 libsope-core4.9 libsope-gdl1-4.9
  libsope-ldap4.9 libsope-mime4.9 libsope-xml4.9 libstring-random-perl libsys-filesystem-perl libtalloc2 libtevent0 libtinfo5:i386 libtsan0
  libubsan0 libuuid-perl libwbclient0 libwbxml2-0 libxmlsec1 libxmlsec1-openssl linux-libc-dev memcached postgrey python-crypto
  python-dnspython python-ldb python-samba python-talloc python-tdb samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs samba-vfs-modules sogo
  sogo-activesync sope4.9-gdl1-mysql sope4.9-gdl1-postgresql sope4.9-libxmlsaxdriver tdb-tools tmpreaper update-inetd winbind zentyal-ntp
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apt apt-utils gnupg gnupg-agent libgpgme11 pinentry-curses samba-dsdb-modules snapd tasksel tasksel-data ubuntu-minimal unattended-upgrades
  zentyal-groupware zentyal-mail zentyal-samba zentyal-sogo
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  software-properties-common
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  apt gnupg (due to apt)
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 16 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 9,432 B of archives.
After this operation, 61.4 MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]

jclaggett

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
So, I finally had time to play around on my machine.  I had to go to Launchpad and find a *newer* version of software properties common from Yakkety and download and dpkg install it.  But that also required a newer version of python3 software properties.  But I finally have add apt again. 

This all seems to stem from the version of gnupg that comes off the Zentyal repositories.

jclaggett

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I also had to go onto Launchpad and get Yakkety versions of gnnpg and dirmgr before everything would work right.  Quite annoying, and based on repositories as configured by Zentyal, not "solved"