Author Topic: Zentyal 5.x + VirtualBox: Samba fails to start  (Read 2552 times)

acn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 5.x + VirtualBox: Samba fails to start
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:18:51 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to setup Zentyal on a VirtualBox VM (using the Zentyal ISO bundle to install), running on a small Windows Server 2012 essentials network. The main purpose for it is to use the OpenChange and Mail implementations on this network, replacing (or maybe supporting) the current cPanel hosted external email system, while connecting it to the Active Directory Server for User directory - this last part is probably where the issue is pertaining.

The (most likely) significant details about the VM are the network settings I've selected within VirtualBox. I've enabled two networks:
  • Bridged Adapter - Zentyal is installed with a static IP address
  • Internal Network - enabled this one for Samba being able to use it, though I'm not sure how

Additional Info:
  • Within the bridged network I can ping both the Zentyal VM server from any client and vice-versa, and access the web interface from any client as well
  • This pretty much happened with 4.3, but back then I didn't try to solve it
  • I've used Zentyal's ISO install wizard thorughout
  • All the components are up to date
  • I've tried a lot of things, from apt-get update/clean/autoclean. I also tried to remove the samba package a bunch of times (which removes a lot of zentyal-* packages as well, only for "samba" to explicitly fail upon reinstallation).

Using the Modules section, I can see the "Domain Controller and File Sharing" module ticked, but within "Users and Computers" > "Manage", I get:
You need to enable Domain Controller and File Sharing module in the module status section and save changes in order to use it.

If I disable and re-enable  the "Domain Controller and File Sharing", 4 operations start, failing on the third: Firewall (starts), DNS (starts) and samba, which fails with:

Some modules reported error when saving changes . More information on the logs in /var/log/zentyal/
The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: samba

Here's the tail log at that point:
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 176, in _run
     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line 652, in run
     machinepass=machinepass, use_ntvfs=use_ntvfs, dns_backend=dns_backend)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 1253, in join_DC
     ctx.do_join()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 1151, in do_join
     ctx.join_add_objects()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 601, in join_add_objects
     ctx.join_add_ntdsdsa()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 532, in join_add_ntdsdsa
     ctx.DsAddEntry([rec])
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 483, in DsAddEntry
     raise RuntimeError("DsAddEntry failed")

Command output: Adding CN=ZENTYAL-SERVER,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=mydomain,DC=local
 Adding CN=ZENTYAL-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=local
 Adding CN=NTDS Settings,CN=ZENTYAL-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=local
 DsAddEntry failed with status (5, 'WERR_ACCESS_DENIED') info (8567, 'WERR_DS_INCOMPATIBLE_VERSION')
 Join failed - cleaning up
 Deleted CN=ZENTYAL-SERVER,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=mydomain,DC=local
 Deleted CN=ZENTYAL-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=local
Exit value: 255
2017/02/27 17:09:42 INFO> Base.pm:231 EBox::Module::Base::save - Restarting service for module: logs
2017/02/27 17:09:43 ERROR> GlobalImpl.pm:736 EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules - The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: samba  at The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: samba  at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/GlobalImpl.pm line 736
EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules('EBox::GlobalImpl=HASH(0x5c688f0)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x54fedc0)') called at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Global.pm line 95
EBox::Global::AUTOLOAD('EBox::Global=HASH(0x18bc548)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x54fedc0)') called at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 32
eval {...} at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 30
2017/02/27 17:10:33 INFO> Service.pm:958 EBox::Module::Service::restartService - Restarting service for module: firewall

So, from what I can understand, the issue is around the samba the Domain controller authentication, making samba failing to start.

Can you give me any pointers on this, is there something I'm doing that is wrong or unnecessary for what I'm planning to have in the end?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:31:29 pm by acn »

acn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 5.x + VirtualBox: Samba fails to start
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 01:36:45 am »
Solved by downgrading AD Domain and Forest from v2012 schema to v2008R2 schema.