Author Topic: DHCP server broken on non-Ubuntu kernels  (Read 2088 times)

lockheed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
DHCP server broken on non-Ubuntu kernels
« on: December 12, 2016, 12:10:44 am »
I just installed bare Ubuntu 16.04 server (lxc container) and Zentyal on top of it (like so: https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Installation_Guide ) three times, and it is not possible to make its DHCP server work.

Every time I try to enable (or disable) it, I get an error message
Code: [Select]
Some modules reported error when saving changes . More information on the logs in /var/log/zentyal/

The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: dhcp

I tried reinstalling it form GUI and from command line - to no avail.
There is nothing in /var/log/zentyal/errors.log
The file /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf remains untouched with default sparse config regardless of how much settings I add to DHCP server from web gui.

I finally did some manual editing of the file and only then clients were able to get IP addresses. But I need the GUI to manage clients so that is not a solution.

What can be done to fix it?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:47:47 pm by lockheed »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: DHCP server broken in Zentyal 5.0
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:33:01 am »
There is nothing in /var/log/zentyal/errors.log

You need to search for ERROR in /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log.

Anyway, if you have detailed steps to reproduce it, best thing you can do is open a ticket in the bug tracker (https://tracker.zentyal.org/projects/zentyal/issues/new)

Thanks,
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

lockheed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: DHCP server broken in Zentyal 5.0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 11:47:46 am »
Here are the logs to show for it:
Code: [Select]
Command output: .
Exit value: 1
2016/12/12 10:45:23 INFO> Base.pm:231 EBox::Module::Base::save - Restarting service for module: logs
2016/12/12 10:45:23 ERROR> GlobalImpl.pm:735 EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules - The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: dhcp  at The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: dhcp  at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/GlobalImpl.pm line 735
EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules('EBox::GlobalImpl=HASH(0x49d3c40)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x23706b0)') called at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Global.pm line 95
EBox::Global::AUTOLOAD('EBox::Global=HASH(0x49d36d0)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x23706b0)') called at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 32
eval {...} at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 30
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:04:53 pm by lockheed »

lockheed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: DHCP server broken
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:47:34 pm »
I think the problem is related to the kernel. When Zentyal is run in LXD on top of non-ubuntu linux, it is using host's kernel. And it seems that for some reason Zentyal's DHCP is dependant on ubuntu-kernel specific functions.

Is there some way around it?

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: DHCP server broken on non-Ubuntu kernels
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 12:18:06 am »
I believe you are referring to this ?

Error output: Cache read/write disabled: interface file missing. (Kernel needs AppArmor 2.4 compatibility patch.)

Are you using Proxmox? 

lockheed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 12:48:12 am »
No. Arch Linux. I thought it might be AppArmor thing, so I compiled a new kernel with its full support, but that did not solve the problem.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 01:21:19 am »
I don't have the ability to re-create your environment but safe to say it fails similarly under Proxmox.  This article might provide some clues https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/lxc.html 

Would that I could help more.  Out of curiosity,  what is pushing you away from pfsense?

lockheed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 05:32:31 am »
When I was over at Netgate, I know there was some discussion on this.  I am not sure if they were targeting the 2.4 release to resolve it.  I can say that their hardware is pretty high quality.

lockheed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 10:23:22 am »
When I was over at Netgate, I know there was some discussion on this.  I am not sure if they were targeting the 2.4 release to resolve it.  I can say that their hardware is pretty high quality.
I am not sure what are you talking about.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 03:42:07 pm »
Netgate is the corporate sponsor behind pfsense.  They are also a manufacturer of hardware with pfsense in mind.  I worked there for a short time recently.  Pfsense 2.4 is currently in beta and should roll to gold soon.  I was suggesting that you might find a hardware pfsense solution a better fit if virtualization isn't working out for you. Perhaps an SG-1000 would work in your situation.  I have a few 8860's here though one of them has Proxmox loaded on it.

lockheed

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 03:47:01 pm »
I see. Unfortunately, if Virtualisation wasn't mandatory in my home environment, I would use an old laptop (Celeron M or Pentium M/512MB RAM) which is a fine pfSense box doing its job perfectly at my client's location.