Author Topic: Upgrade Path to 5.0  (Read 4416 times)

rrosson

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Upgrade Path to 5.0
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:54:42 pm »
Looking for an upgrade or migration path to move from 4.2.2 to 5.0 without loosing domain membership.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

jclendineng

Re: Upgrade Path to 5.0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:12 pm »
Actually, that doesnt rteally work, I would personally wait on 4.2 until 5 is stable...right now its not booting right and the network is broken entirely until you restart the network services after every reboot.

rrosson

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 06:32:42 pm »
Thank you for the info. I will keep an eye out for stability improvements. guess I am sticking with 4.2.1 for now.  :(

jclendineng

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 03:19:01 am »
Watch the thread where we talk about the various issues.  Zentyal isnt built to be stable its built to be tinker-friendly anyways, since 3 or so.  I could never have it in a production environment, especially since devs don't seem to have the bugs everyone else is having.  That said, if you only need ad integration and a hardware router then, you should download the update.  Samba IS broken totally, more so than 4.2.  Command line works but zentyal changes prevent that from working through a reboot.  GUI is lacking half the time, but it is on ubuntu proper so you can just use the command line to install whatever you want, thats what I do.

rrosson

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 09:34:05 pm »
Any more information on this topic. Really do not want to loose the membership of my windows clients and other devices that are registered. So I see it as the following steps that need details:
  • Upgrade OS from 14.x to 16.x
  • Upgrade Zentyal from 4.2.2 to 5.x

If this is not possible is there some sort of back I can do of the samba database and import into a fresh 5.x system.

TIA

travisph

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 08:31:15 pm »
Any more information on this topic. Really do not want to loose the membership of my windows clients and other devices that are registered. So I see it as the following steps that need details:

If this is not possible is there some sort of back I can do of the samba database and import into a fresh 5.x system.

TIA

With AD/LDAP, the normal method is to stand up another server, let everything replicate to the new server, and then decommission the old server.  Assuming you have a virtual environment available, that should be easy.  Even if you don't, just install VirtualBox on your workstation and use that to run an install of Zental 5.0 temporarily.

raydelgg

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:54:06 pm »

TIA

With AD/LDAP, the normal method is to stand up another server, let everything replicate to the new server, and then decommission the old server.  Assuming you have a virtual environment available, that should be easy.  Even if you don't, just install VirtualBox on your workstation and use that to run an install of Zental 5.0 temporarily.

@travisph in my case that's was the first attempt, but when try to join to a existing domain, the dns module fail in differents points of the join process (ps sorry for my english)

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:17:37 am »
Upgrade path from 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 already available: https://twitter.com/zentyal/status/825857924362883072
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

raydelgg

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 07:50:06 pm »
in the upgrading process my zentyal-samba module is removed, losing all ad, any idea?
rgg