Author Topic: Zentyal 5 ERROR  (Read 8027 times)

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 5 ERROR
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 05:38:10 am »

jclendineng

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 05:45:11 am »
I actually just fixed it, logged in as debian-sys-maint using the pass from the debian.cnf file and set up a new root user with full priv :D :profit: I appreciate the help! Ive literally been all over the forums, I just happened on the maint account going through some config files.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 05:51:46 am »
No worries.  It gave me something to break up writing maintenance plans for our F5's.  Change management can be so tedious at times  ;D

chc-pr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 11:08:53 am »
Hi Guys, just found this a few days ago and it appears to be what I have been looking for.

I seem to be having the same (or similar) issues as was reported at the start - specifically, booting the server is very hit and miss. The console frequently hanges at the line /dev/sda1: clean, xxx/xxx files, yyy/yyyy blocks.  Sometimes when it does this I can access it via the web interface, other times it is non responsive.  The DHCP is similary hit and miss.

It is installed as a VirtualBox machine.  I cloned the installation immediately before the initial post install reboot so I could mess about with intial config tests without having to do a full install.  Each and every time I have tried to pick up with a fresh clone it has booted up cleanly and perfectly - it is ONLY on post install reboots.  I have also been getting various error messages on settings changes, which I assumed was because of partial configs, but I am not so sure now. 

The download I used to install was from 9/12/2016 so after 5.0.1 was uploaded I believe.

Am I better going back to an older version to test becasue as things stand this is a complete non-starter - often quite literally

chc-pr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 01:50:26 pm »
Wow, how buggy is Zentyal!  I read some other comment that you guys have it wrong regarding the stability issue and I must say I agree. 

I have just tried version 4.2 and that is barely better than 5.0.  Frankly, I do not want to play with something this frustrating.  I will keep looking because this is just too annoying. 

While I am giving some (hopefully) constructive feedback, the constant removal of functionality I have seen in my research from one version to the next is counter to what every other software supplier is seeking to achieve.  That on its own would be enough to make me look elsewhere as I would be worried that some functionaily I wanted was next to be withdrawn - even without the issue of 'will it start today'. 

Sorry, I know you warn that this s/w is development stuff, but it barely qualifies as alpha let alone beta.

Why would any sys admin test this stuff then go get the paid for Server edition to install it?  Talk about putting your neck in a noose!

Real shame, because I so wanted this to be workable but it just is not.  I guess I am another lost prospect.  Unfortunately, whenever it comes up I will also be warning people not to try it so probably more lost prospects.

I MIGHT try again in a couple of years if the functionality is restored and I do not find an alternative (of which there appear to be a growing number of late and one or two in particular which seem to be acting as a magnet for unhappy Zentyal users past and prospective) in which case why would I bother?  I SO wanted this to work.  Good luck with it.  I really hope you get it together.

jclendineng

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:52 pm »
Nethserver is great. Yes, zentyal still reboots to nothing every once in a while and errors a lot but I think it does save , configs just never save without error. Happens almost all the time but I haven't had it not save I just keep trying . It's a good way to learn more Ubuntu , having to fix issues like that . Don't know how this is marketed to small businesses though as it is a tech demo at best . DHCP might be the latest Windows cumulative update, Microsoft can't make stable software either apparently and it's paid . The recent KB they just pulled ,uninstall and you'll have internet Woking properly again . I've had a ton of issues but DHCP should be one of the few things that works .

chc-pr

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 03:05:58 pm »
I think your comparison with Microsoft is apt here.  I know an increasing number of users and sysadmins looking for MS alternatives precisely because of that sort of experience.  One friend recently said he was looking at moving to Apple next time because Windows 10 is such a pain and I have lost count of the number who are looking to move to Linux now.  Even my 85 year old mother is asking me to move her onto some alternative because Win10 is causing her so much grief, and she never wants to change ANYTHING.  She has also said all her friends with computers are complaining endlessly about Win10.

After that sort of experience, no IT professional is going to go with something as buggy as this. 

I have just installed Nethserver as a trial and it has been smooth as silk in exactly the same test environment (except when I forgot to set the network to Virtual Host instead of internal, but that is hardly their fault.  Shut down, reset the NIC and reboot.  Up perfectly!)  The contrast with Zentyal could not be greater than that with either version 5.0 or 4.2.  I tried 4.2 in the hope that it would be more stable as I assumed that the paid for version would be similar to that.  Either the two bear no resemblence at all, in which case there must be two entirely different development teams which I think is extremely unlikely and even less desirable, or that the paid version is in any practical sense no better. 

I really wanted Zentyal to work. I still do.  I liked the way it appears, both on paper and on the screen, but the decisions the management are taking are just wrong IMO and will drive the project into the ground.  One can only hope that a group of developers will leave and fork it in the same way as happened with the birth of Libre Office and more recently Nextcloud.

jclendineng

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 01:16:57 am »
Welp my sources.list just gone...etc/apt was just gone on a reboot :D I was wondering why updates were not happening, I manually updated and bam, no sources. So I recreated all sources and noticed a new network module, we shall see how that goes.  Lost network of course, tried restarting and still no network.  So I reboot the servers and low and behold! No gui, no cli, no nothing.  I have network so something is working but I cannot remote in and when I hook up a monitor, it has no display.  So weird.  Im going to reboot again, hard, to see what happens.

jclendineng

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 03:02:20 am »
Just an update, server seems to be pretty stable. Whatever system updates to the modules seems to have worked well.  Still boots to nothing on occasion, but once booted im running on 10 days uptime.  Ubuntu 16 is pretty cool, its a nice upgrade.

jclendineng

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2016, 09:30:07 pm »
So every reboot sees my sources.list deleted, actually my entire etc/apt folder is gone.  Every reboot, its really weird.