Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Port forwarding from external to internal server  (Read 2398 times)

ipkwena

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED] Port forwarding from external to internal server
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »
I have installed Zentyal 2.02 over the last weekend and since then I really battle to forward an external connection on port 80 to my internal webserver. Bear in mind that prior to Zentyal I was using a WLAN router with Tomato firmware. I was then able to access the internal web via FreeDns (afraid.org) services.

In Zentyal, what appears to be a simple configuration simply fails to function first time. Zentyal is configured as gateway, DNS and DHCP and all local clients can seamlessly browse the internet.  eth0 is connected to internal switch, eth1 is pppoe is connected to internet. Like many other post on this subject elsewhere in this forum, I have read and validated certain settings, however I feel like thers is a crucial step I have missed somewhow - what is the simple step by procedure to have this port forwarding to function out of the box?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:03:40 pm by ipkwena »

ipkwena

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Port forwarding from external to internal server
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:01:49 pm »
...i finally managed to resolve the port forwarding problem, primarily by using my cellular phone to access the internal LAN webserver via the cell phone network - thus creating a clear separation of the networks. prior to that, i was testing with a client pc or cell phone that was part of the LAN and that resulted in me only being able to hit the zentyal webserver and not the internal one.

the odd thing is that with the "tomato" firmware as a router, i was able to externally simulate access to the internal webserver by using a LAN client.

i am beginning to appreciate the zentyal server.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:04:35 pm by ipkwena »