Author Topic: Installation fails  (Read 1927 times)

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Installation fails
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:04:26 am »
Hello,

first of all, this is my first post here, so please bear with me - I just discovered EBOX a few days go and liked the idea behind it very much.

Today I was going to install 1.3.16 but it failed from the beginning: I burned a CD with the iso image, put it in a brand new server made from Intel parts and an Adaptec RAID controller - it just starts fine from the CD, I can change the language and the keyboard layout and then it tells me, it can't configure my CD-Rom......HUH?!?!......it just booted from the CD and loaded all the data from there?!
Same result, when I create an USB stick with the image and boot from there. RescuImage has no problems reading the CD when I start from the USB stick....

The CD-Rom is available under /dev/sr0 and I can mount it in the console and read the data from there....
Same goes for the USB stick, it's only mounted from /dev/sdb1

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
BBking

Sam Graf

Re: Installation fails
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:29:39 am »
Hi, and welcome.

I have had problems with Ubuntu 8.04 (both desktop and server) and above and the Adaptec AIC-7899 Ultra3 SCSI host adapter (I think) I have on several older servers. In my case the install usually gets as far as starting to retrieve files and then stalls out, as though the disc is bad.

Funny thing is that Debian Lenny installs without a hitch. Ubuntu 6.06 LTS server installs without a hitch. The current Ubuntu mini.iso installs without a hitch. (CentOS 5.4 installs without a hitch as well, FWIW). So I think Ubuntu has injected an Adaptec SCSI adapter issue of some kind into the full installation. That creates problems for us eBoxers ...

I don't have a solution to the problem, though I've looked at it long and hard. My Linux skills are limited so I may be missing something.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:31:34 am by Sam Graf »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:24 am »
have you tried the "alternate" installer instead of desktop and server?
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Sam Graf

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:50:34 am »
I haven't, but I could. I'll try it before week's end.

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:42:58 am »
The Hardy alternate install CD "crashes" in a way identical to the rest, I'm sorry to say, at the "Loading additional components" portion of the install. So very early on in the process.

I did this test on a Dell PowerEdge 2500.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that at the moment I have this Dell server as a spare so would be happy to try other suggestions, as time permits.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:46:32 am by Sam Graf »

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:05:36 am »
The Hardy alternate install CD "crashes" in a way identical to the rest, I'm sorry to say, at the "Loading additional components" portion of the install. So very early on in the process.

I downloaded Ubuntu-9.10-server-amd64 edition, the installation succeeded just fine. I did not choose "loading additional components", just added the openSSH server and I want to install Ebox with apt-get in the evening. So far, the system works, I rebooted and logged in once....

Hope this helps

Sam Graf

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 03:59:35 pm »
I'm glad you found an Ubuntu version that worked. :)

The "Loading additional components" step I mentioned is the point right after the initial scan of the CD, before disk partitioning and all that. So whatever is going on with the Adaptec controllers is happening at the very start of the installation process. And since these are older servers I'm having trouble with (though I think that that shouldn't be an issue for mainstream hardware), it may be that the problems doesn't exist in 64-bit releases.

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 09:52:40 am »
I'm glad you found an Ubuntu version that worked. :)

yeah, but as I just realized, there are no ebox packages for karmic?!
What can I do now?

Edit: Ok, I'm just getting the sources and try to build it myself....stay tuned...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:25:04 am by bbking »