Author Topic: Zentyal 4.1 issue with file name between Windows and OSX (mangled names)  (Read 1290 times)

kinetica

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hello,

"Back in the days of DOS and Windows 3.1, every filename was limited to eight upper-case characters, followed by a dot, and three more uppercase characters. This was known as the 8.3 format"

In the past I had an issue with a NAS system:
basically, in a mixed environment Windows/MAC sometimes file renamed by Windows were seen as 8.3 alphanumeric characters by MAC.
After many firmware upgrade the developers put an option in the NAS to disable the "mangled file" option in samba. With a simple tick you can individually add to every share the option  "mangled names = No"

Few days ago a customer called me told me that if someone modify a file from Windows in their Zentyal server, He can not open the file with his MAC because the name of the file changes in 8.3 alphanumeric characters (with .TMP extension). From this MAC he see the file in that way, meanwhile Windows users see the files with the correct name
They have a server with  Zentyal 4.1  (Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS GNU/Linux 3.13.0-68-generic x86_64)
In my opinion this is the same issue I had in the past with the NAS.

Is this synonymous the customer is describing is related with "mangled file"?
And if this is the case how can I add the option "mangled names = No" to the samba configuration?

I tried to add the option to /etc/samba/shares.conf but after a reboot obviously it disappear
Any body knows how to solve this?

Thanks a lot!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:30:19 am by kinetica »