Author Topic: mount /home/$(DOMAIN_USER) on ubuntu client (copy home folder to client)  (Read 2256 times)

jandoe

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hello

I'm able to "mount" the user folder form the zentyal 4.0 server from on a ubuntu client.
But this creates an exact copy on the client. When the $(DOMAIN_USER) logs out, the copied home folder of the $(DOMAIN_USER) remain on the client.
I can login as a local user, get root access using sudo and delete the localy new created home folder of $(DOMAIN_USER). $(DOMAIN_USER) can login again and its home folder get's copied again (needs some time).

On the Ubuntu 16.04 client, I additionally install cifs-utils and libpam-mount in order to mount $(DOMAIN_USER) home folders and the only config file I adapt is pam_mount.conf.xml. I add at line 17

Code: [Select]
<volume user="*" fstype="cifs" server="192.168.156.120" path="%(DOMAIN_USER)" mountpoint="/home/SCHOOL/%(DOMAIN_USER)" options="sec=ntlm,nodev,nosuid" />

All other entries in pam_mount.conf.xml stay untouched.

Is it normal, that this way the home folders from the zentyal 4.0 server get's copied to the ubuntu client?

Kind regards, Roland

segelfreak

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
It shouldn't get copied, but simply is mounted into the local file system. the issue you may have is that you do not unmount after logoff.

So check this out:

<pam_mount>

<debug enable="0" />

<volume
fstype="cifs"
server="{server}"
path="%(USER)"
mountpoint="/home/local/{domain}/%(USER)"
user="*"
options="sec=krb5,cruid=%(USERUID),domain={full domain},uid=%(USERUID),gid=%(USERGID),rw"
/>

<umount>umount -l %(MNTPT)</umount>

<mntoptions allow="nosuid,nodev,loop,encryption,fsck,nonempty,allow_root,allow_other" />

<mntoptions require="nosuid,nodev" />

<logout wait="0" hup="0" term="0" kill="0" />

<mkmountpoint enable="1" remove="true" />

</pam_mount>

(replace {server}, {domain} and {full domain} with your individual real entries)

Works for me, however, from time to time, the very first login may fail to mount the home directory. Leaves you with a fresh desktop. Logo and login will then mount correctly. Not sure where this comes from, though.

Maybe also another tip:
If you want to keep the audio working, you also need to set a local variable for each client.
It must be done for each user, so it makes sense to put this as a template to the zentyal/samba server into /etc/skel/.profile
# move pulse directory out of home
PULSE_DIR="/tmp/$( whoami )-pulse
mkdir -p $PULSE_DIR && chmod 700 $PULSE_DIR
export PULSE_CONFIG_PATH=$PULSE_DIR
export PULSE_STATE_PATH=$PULSE_DIR
export PULSE_RUNTIME_PATH=$PULSE_DIR

Found this tip somewhere, but sadly do not remember the exact source, so credits go to the unknown hero  8)

When a new user is created, the files in skel are copied to the new profile and when it's mounted by the client, you have full functional pulse audio.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:23:24 pm by segelfreak »
Zentyal 6.1

jandoe

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: mount /home/$(DOMAIN_USER) on ubuntu client (copy home folder to client)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:42:00 am »
hello segelfreak

I have to say thank you. I tried your pam_mount.conf.xml entries <volume .... /> and <umount> ... </umount> and they work. I can login as DOMAIN_USER and the home folder gets mounted; create directories or files during the login and they get stored on the server. After logout there isn't a DOMAIN_USER home folder anymore.

What I haven't tested yet, is if a DOMAIN_USER can listen or play audio or video files. Also using a printer as DOMAIN_USER isn't configured yet.

thanks a lot and kind regards

dept

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:50:20 pm »
Hi, I have a similar problem.
I can authenticate my clients(ubuntu 16.04 and ubuntu 14.04), so I would mount home directory, but the variables USERUID, USERGID, DOMAIN_USER are null.
USER is correct.

Can I read DOMAIN_USER? Must I write {domain}? Thanks.

segelfreak

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 04:58:46 pm »
you have to replace {server} and {domain} with your individual real entries

p.s. same of course for {full domain}. they are just place holders
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:00:33 pm by segelfreak »
Zentyal 6.1

dept

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 06:12:06 pm »
Thanks,
I have re-installated   libnss-ldap libpam-mount  winbind smbclient cifs-utils ldap-utils and it's worked.

In the documentation of pam_mount.conf I read:"..Note that you do not need to specify uid=%(USERUID) for smbfs or cifs mounts because this is already done automatically by pam_mount.", so if I use :
<volume user="*" fstype="cifs" server="server" path="%(DOMAIN_USER)"
mountpoint="/home/local/%(DOMAIN_NAME)/%(DOMAIN_USER)"
options="iocharset=utf8" />

it's worked.

But if I try to mount another directory (for example in the Desktop), sometimes lightdm passes lightdm as username and not the given username of logon.
Can I resolve it? Thanks.