Author Topic: error downloading attachments in windows phone (8.1 and 10) and mail app windows  (Read 4966 times)

klinutzu

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
hello,

i have a zentyal 4 server. i've noticed that i can't download anymore attachments on my windows devices (phones with 8.1 and 10 mail app and laptop with original mail app). every time i receive an error message: 'we couldn't download one or more of the attachments. please try again later'. can anybody help me, pls?

thanks and regards.

calin

klinutzu

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
well, nobody, as usual....

klinutzu

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
hmmmm.... it's anybody able to help me?...

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

Have you checked the space on disk?
Maybe your mailbox is full.

Gabriel

gummibear1986

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I did a little research on this a while back as I couldn't download attachments in the Outlook app on Android, it seems that Sogo in Zentyal is an older version and the issue was fixed in version 3.x.

https://sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=3491

Looks like there might be a possible fix for older versions, though I'm not sure what version Zentyal is running, nor how to apply this fix
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:45:19 am by gummibear1986 »

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

I did a little research on this a while back as I couldn't download attachments in the Outlook app on Android, it seems that Sogo in Zentyal is an older version and the issue was fixed in version 3.x.

You are right but @klinutzu has Zentyal 4.xx and the SOGo version it's OK, no need SOGo v3.xx

I'm using this version and I have no issues on WP, Android Phones, BlackBerry, Apple phones, MS Outlook and all tablets.

The only time when I have encountered this type of problem, was when the mailbox was full.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:01:09 am by GG_jr »

gummibear1986

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile

You are right but @klinutzu has Zentyal 4.xx and the SOGo version it's OK, no need SOGo v3.xx

That is very strange, did it work for you straight away? Also, are the accounts you are using set via IMAP or Exchange?

I have tried using the MS Outlook app numerous times, even on brand new accounts and on each occasion it has not allowed me to download attachments. I am running 4.2, and the only way i ever got this working in a way was to force an upgrade to 3.x (i wouldn't recommend doing this as it seems to break other things, if there is a good way to do the upgrade I'd definitely be interested).

I think its important to note however, that it does work flawlessly for me using the in-built default Android mail app, but does not work using the MS Outlook app. I even had MS support on this and they could not identify what the issue is. I also have it working flawlessly using Outlook on PC, iPad Mail etc. I cannot say for BB or WP. It seems from my point of view that the issue is restricted to the usage of Outlook or Gmail apps only, on both Android and iOS.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:02:12 pm by gummibear1986 »

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

I'm using Zentyal 4.2.2 (started with 3.5) as multi domain email server. No AD integration, only email server placed in DMZ (Endian UTM).

Our clients are using MS Outlook 2010, 2013, Mozilla Thunderbird, as email desktop clients.
Some clients are using IMAP, but most of them, POP3.
Never had issues with the downloading of the attachments (except the cases that I have mentioned), send and receive, scheduled s&r, ...
Personal, I have installed both MS Outlook 2013 and Mozilla Thunderbird (for tests, to see how it works; some accounts use IMAP, some POP3).

gummibear1986

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
That may be the difference between setups then, i am trying to (and i assume OP is too) use the Exchange functionality rather than IMAP and POP. In that respect, this is where i assume that an upgrade to 3.x is necessary.

The potential fix i linked earlier for older versions seems to be for 2.3.8, but Zentyal uses 2.3.4. I cannot seem to locate the file that the fix refers to so i assume that this was not something included in 2.3.4. If i am wrong and the SOGoActiveSyncDispatcher.m file does actually exist i would really appreciate if someone could advise where it would be, as i believe that this may resolve both mine and the OP's issues.

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

Did you activate ActiveSync in Mail -> OpenChange?

gummibear1986

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Yes, ActiveSync is enabled. Other than upgrading which i have not been able to do fully without issue I really am at a loss of how to sort this on Zentyal. It seems that the Zentyal team may have disappeared so i'm not even hopeful that updates will come along in the future.

trysomething

• Zen Warrior
  • Founder of The Tiki Lab
    • View Profile
    • The Tiki Lab | Bridging the gap between technology and vision impairment!
If you cannot download attatchments on WP 8 and up it's probably not such a Zentyal only problem as it is a cross platform issue.
I would try installing the CA Cert from the Zentyal server onto one of the WP units and see if that fixes the issue.

The second step - if that didn't work is I would go into the Zentyal GUI and I would browse right on into Users and Computers > Manage and find each user that cannot download attatchments.  Once located I would scroll all of the way down to where you can disable their Openchange account, disable it and then change the password.  Once the password is changed I'd enable their Openchange account back to normal and then their WP phone will ask for the new credentials.
After putting the new password in the Outlook app or Windows Mail app will have to re-register the credentials and it "should" clear out whatever hiccup is there.
Obviously try this on an account you use instead of pushing it out to everyone all at once.
Also, although Zentyal says you shouldn't do it I'd jump into a terminal and do an apt-get update and and apt-get upgrade.
You will likely get an issue that some packages couldn't be installed, take note of one package and then do:

apt-get -f install <package name here>

The Zentyal package manager has absolutely no balls when it comes to installing packages and it often just stops at the first sign of difficulty.  It will never upgrade from there, it will never refresh the databases, it just stops...
I am on the 4.2.2 commercial edition and support from them on the commercial side sucks worse than in here - I've actually pointed out that most of their documentation in the super secret commercial edition support portal is still for 3.1 and older and doesn't apply to much of anything anymore.  So they are sucking on something but hopefully they get their heads out of their butts pretty soon.
Anyways, it's a super cool piece of free for now so just rock it as long as you can - at least you didn't pay $500 for less helpful resources LoL.

HTH
You will have to excuse my posts not having actual links in them.  I'm blind and can never find that insert hyperlink button LoL.  If you, or someone you know has vision problems check out The Tiki Lab.

gummibear1986

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hey. That's absolutely shocking. I can't believe that the support/documentation would be so bad. I've been with free Zentyal since 3.0 and so much has changed I can't see how the portal would be any help whatsoever for a commercial user on 4.2.2.

Anyhow I did try the cert on android and it didn't help. I can't really comment on WP but I think I did read somewhere that the WP needed the cert.

Unfortunately after all the things I have tried with new accounts etc it still hasn't resolved the issue. In my case I'm putting it down to SOGo mainly due to the fact that it is listed as a bug fixed in 2.3.8 and 3.0.1. The result may well be different for the OP using a WP.

I will try forcing update and upgrade as you say, and if I have any luck getting it working I'll report back.

Thanks for the advice

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

What language did you use on devices?
I'm using english.
I don't understand why for me everything works and for you doesn't.
With default settings, without SOGo updates.

gummibear1986

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm using English also.

I think that the difference between your set up and mine is that you are using IMAP and POP whereas I'm exclusively trying to use Exchange. Receiving mail etc is fine. It's only when it comes to downloading attachments does it not play ball.