Author Topic: Test DNS setup is not giving reverse lookup  (Read 1714 times)

bentech4u

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Test DNS setup is not giving reverse lookup
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:24:49 am »
HI

i have installed a test DNS setup with zentyal.
created domain and and added host name under that.

i have 2 domains and one is for windows and another one is for linux.

The machine added under windows DNS domains is resolving properly(forward and reverse)

But the domain created for Linux domain is not giving reverse lookup. how can i fix this.

when i am trying

Code: [Select]
[root@ZKWIPAMSTR01 ~]# nslookup 192.168.184.132
Server:         192.168.184.140
Address:        192.168.184.140#53

** server can't find 132.184.168.192.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

and here is the successful windows server resolution
Code: [Select]
[root@ZKWIPAMSTR01 ~]# nslookup 192.168.184.130
Server:         192.168.184.140
Address:        192.168.184.140#53

130.184.168.192.in-addr.arpa    name = dc01.corp.example.com.kw.

sspeed

  • Zen Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 20
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Test DNS setup is not giving reverse lookup
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:37:58 am »
I possibly have the same problem. I noticed my Zentyal server has an extra octet in the IP adddress in DNS, at least when I look from Windows 7.  So far I haven't figured out how to fix it.



The named.conf.local shows:

acl "internal-local-nets" {
    10.1.1.0/24;
};

dlz "AD DNS Zone" {
    database "dlopen /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/bind9/dlz_bind9_9.so";
};

zone "1.1.10.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "/var/lib/bind/db.1.1.10";
    update-policy {
        // The only allowed dynamic updates are PTR records
        grant aero.tsi.awd. subdomain 1.1.10.in-addr.arpa. PTR TXT;
        // Grant from localhost
        grant local-ddns zonesub any;
    };
};

The actual zone file shows:

scottz@zentyal:/var/lib/bind$ more db.1.1.10
$ORIGIN .
$TTL 259200     ; 3 days
1.1.10.in-addr.arpa     IN SOA  zentyal.aero.tsi.awd. hostmaster.aero.tsi.awd. (
                                2016053110 ; serial
                                28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
                                7200       ; retry (2 hours)
                                2419200    ; expire (4 weeks)
                                86400      ; minimum (1 day)
                                )
                        NS      zentyal.aero.tsi.awd.
$ORIGIN 1.1.10.in-addr.arpa.
$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
102                     PTR     android-594d4c41cde05e2a.aero.tsi.awd.

The weird thing is, if I look from Server 2003, it's different.



I'm confused.  I'm sure I set something up wrong back in the day, that 2003 server has been around since 2003 came out, and it was migrated from 2000.  That said, I sure would like to fix the reverse lookup.

I have the 10.in-addr.arpa zone also replicating to a Synology DNS server, and that does reverse lookup just fine.