Author Topic: Open Relay  (Read 2533 times)

ctek

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Open Relay
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 12:43:06 am »
yes if that is your internet interface

quikmcw

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 03:36:52 pm »
 :-[  Okay, this is still not working for systems outside the internal network.  I'm not seeing any errors on the logs at all now.  But if I have the laptop inside the network, I can send and receive emails just fine.  If the laptop is at home, outside the network, then I can receive but not send.....there are no relay denied errors....just looses communication with the server.

The server has one NIC and has a valid, DNS supported real IP address of the outside world.

HELP!!!!   ???

Everyone else running this without any problems ??
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:09:53 pm by quikmcw »

quikmcw

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 02:55:52 am »
Do you have to have 2 network cards to get this to work for people inside and outside at the same time?  That doesnt make a lot of sense if you do.

ctek

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:09:55 am »
Acualy it makes alot of sense. For Lan users not to go all over the wan to access the email, They are connected trough LAN and so on...

quikmcw

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 02:43:59 pm »
well the LAN users have to travel the whole way through the little router to get to their email server considering the router has 2 subnets, one for the "inhouse" network and one for the "outside" or DMZ network.........so makes no sense to put 2 NICs in the email server when one NIC with one "real" outside IP address is all that is needed.  Network packets do not travel all over the internet to get from the LAN to the email server.  The packets travel from the LAN port to the 2nd port on the router to get to the email server.  I have 9 SUN Servers that have one and only one NIC and they have worked very well for the past several years, but I'm trying the ebox renditions to see how they compare.