Author Topic: Zentyal Development or Commercial  (Read 4239 times)

Coarch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal Development or Commercial
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:50:33 pm »
What is the benefit of Commercial?  Does the system lock up after the trail period?  Request a license and no longer work?

What is the down side of development?  My server will be used for relatively simple requirements and may not need support.

Thanks for the info.  The website wasn't clear.

ITtester

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal Development or Commercial
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 05:32:37 am »
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I'm a bit iffy about recommending this. After a couple days of testing the development version, I must admit, I am impressed, but also disappointed at the same time. From the versions I have tested, starting from 3.5 all the way up to 4.1, from the removal of features, I am confused as to where Zentyal is actually heading.
Are they focusing on Active directory, mail and shares or are they removing them. From each version I have seen more removal of active directory options from the web login instead of added features, numerous bugs and issues and a few hours of tinkering to get things working. If it wasn't for my Windows server/AD background I would have given up on this a long while back.

Why has Zentyal not incorporated all the Active directory configuration into the web GUI, this would really make me want to dump Windows. But as it stands, I still need to use Windows to have a graphical config is disappointing. I don't see any reason to stop using Windows Server + AD.

I am happy with the features, but so far I can not recommend this in a business environment. Is there anyone in Sydney, Australia who has a functioning setup with active directory fully functioning, easily accessed and connected to multiple operating systems, Mac, Linux, Win7 & Win 10 Pro(just found out that Win 10 standard can not join domains, Mac works fine, Win 7 fine). If so, I would really love to organise for me to come and have a run through on how you set it all up and see it in action. I really want to give this another chance as I want to move away from Windows, after studying Digital Forensics, Windows is scary.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:50:21 am by ITtester »

Coarch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal Development or Commercial
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 05:54:22 pm »
Just updating because I came across this post after looking through my history.  I haven't been on these forums in years.  I starting using the community dev server in production 5 years ago and haven't had a problem since.  I'm moving to 7 and had a few questions that brought me here.  Zentyal is good software.