Author Topic: Weird throughput measurements  (Read 1525 times)

gsterg

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Weird throughput measurements
« on: March 04, 2016, 05:52:52 pm »
I have been testing in a controlled environment my new setup with Zentyal 4.2 before I switch my older Asus RT-N16. I have been doing all sorts of measurements with both iPerf and file copies and I get wierd but consistent behavior. The LAN to WAN throughput measures 340mbps. It clocks same with both iperf and file copies from a test PC plugged in the LAN part to a server that is plugged in the WAN subnet. At the beginning I though it was a driver issue with my realtek ethernet adaptor cause this one is Gigabit since the atom CPU in the box was literally cruising at 0%. Right at the point where I accepted the reality that this is the max that i can do with this box I tested the reverse throughput namely WAN subnet server to LAN (test PC). To my surprise this clocked at 740mbps with again the CPU cruising and not showing any load whatsover. What gives ? Am I missing something ... I was surprised that LAN to WAN clocks slower than WAN to LAN. Is there any traffic shaping default values somewhere in the configs that I need to change, it shouldn't be happening really. Let me also add that my PC has a single ethernet adapter and I am using VLANS to get the WAN and LAN interfaces.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:54:52 pm by gsterg »