Author Topic: Traffic Shaping missing?  (Read 2824 times)

TechGuy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Traffic Shaping missing?
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:24:28 pm »
I'm new to Zentyal.  I've spent about an hour looking through the documentation and old posts to try to get Traffic Shaping installed... but just can't find it.

https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Quality_of_Service_%28QoS%29

The documentation states that "You need to install and enable the 'Traffic Module' for this." Unfortunately, it seems to give no hint as to do so.  One might expect that it would be an option under Software Management -> Zentyal Components... but no such luck.  Perhaps it's only included in some paid version?  I couldn't find any information on that, either... much less pricing.

Any hints?

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic Shaping missing?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:01 pm »
Hello:

Traffic Shaping has been deprecated in 4.1 version, you may find it in older versions

feratechinc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:28:36 am »
Any updates in Zentyal 4.2?

Is there any alternate way to accomplish this?

I'm trying to prioritize traffic on 5060 for voip.

pcready.cl

• Zen Samurai
  • Zentyal Installer in Chile
    • View Profile
    • PC Ready Chile SpA
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:01:19 pm »
Any updates in Zentyal 4.2?

Is there any alternate way to accomplish this?

I'm trying to prioritize traffic on 5060 for voip.

I need that too.
Email: contacto@pcready.cl
Teléfono: (+56 32) 314 0883
Web: https://www.pcready.cl

tamuin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 03:54:09 pm »
I use TC and the the following script.  My PBX sets the TOS for SIP and RTP packets and then I use a U32 filter to put them in the appropriate queues.

You could change the U32 filter to look for packets coming from a certain port (sport) or going to a specific port (dport).  I think you would change " u32 match ip tos 0xb8 0xff" to something like " u32 match ip sport 5060" (check the man pages for tc to see if this is correct). 

Additionally, you should change the bandwidth setting for the third queue to something that is appropriate for you (I have a 1Mbs outgoing connection).

If you search for "tc" and "voip" you will find similar scripts

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
# this is intended to be low latency which is why prio, sfq and tbf are used
# set queues up for traffic on WAN (eth0)

# clear exitisting queue structure (this will cause a non-fatal error if no queues were previously set)
/sbin/tc qdisc del dev eth0 root

# put everything in the third queue by default
/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: prio priomap 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

# set up the queues, rate limit the third queue so that there is always some bandwidth for voip traffic
# note: the use of perturb with sfq seems to increase jitter
/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:1 handle 10: sfq
/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:2 handle 20: sfq
/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:3 handle 30: tbf rate 750kbit latency 30ms burst 10000

# Audio packets go to first queue, PBX sets TOS for RTP audio packets=ef, ef=0xb8
/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip tos 0xb8 0xff flowid 1:1

# SIP packets go to the second queue, PBX sets TOS for SIP pakets=cs3, cs3=0x60
/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip tos 0x60 0xff flowid 1:2

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:05:14 pm by tamuin »

gsterg

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:39:02 pm »
Yeah i feel this is an important piece these days and most importantly going forward. Now more than ever ISP providers are enforcing data caps. Gone are the days of infinite bandwidth. I started looking at Zentyal because of the nickel-and-diming that Comcast has put in place on a byte per byte. I wanted to set up an ubuntu box and use zentyal as my router, so I was bummed to find out that support for traffic shaping is discontinued. I wonder what happened though, was it because it was unstable or because not many people were using it?

I frankly am reading the forums now just for this piece. I hope this will change in the upcoming releases. Regards, -G