Author Topic: Backup Software Needed  (Read 2133 times)

logictel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Backup Software Needed
« on: February 26, 2016, 09:15:18 pm »
Dear All, we are looking to use Zentyal instead of a Microsoft Small Business Server solution.  We are having a major issue trying to find a GUI based backup solution.  Ideally it would allow backup / restore to NAS Drive or Cloud Server.  Some of the RSync command line solutions don't appear to give the flexibility of Windows based Backup Server Software.

Seems to be a major missing component to allow a true SBS alternative platform

We would appreciate any help or suggestions

expertgeeks

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Backup Software Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:32:54 pm »
I use backuppc for fine grained backups that run out of hours and are secure (RSync over SSH). It's a superb piece of software;

"BackupPC is a high-performance, enterprise-grade system for backing up Unix, Linux, WinXX, and MacOSX PCs, desktops and laptops to a server's disk. BackupPC is highly configurable and easy to install and maintain."

Find out more here and here and read through the documentation here.

aarcos

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:50:58 pm »
I think use amanda over mail server and file server, I would like known your experience?

Thanks a lot

Alejandro

trysomething

• Zen Warrior
  • Founder of The Tiki Lab
    • View Profile
    • The Tiki Lab | Bridging the gap between technology and vision impairment!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 12:38:29 am »
Actually there's a stupid cool tool called DD - you can use DD to create full disk images in real-time AND you can transter the images when completed via SSH, FTP, drop 'em on a USB or do pretty much anything you'ed do with any other complexticated software.
DD is already there on your machine too, so you literally just Google for something like "use DD to make disk images" and there's a crazy well written article about how exactly to do it and even how to automagic it so it just works without doing anything else.
It even cleans up after itself!!!!
On a side note did anyone happen to mention you can't import PST's into Zentyal from your SBS???  True fact, it'll make your Zentyal server go down faster than a drunken prom queen if you know what I mean.
There are a TON of IMAP transfer solutions out there, that's what you'll need for mailbox moving and then you've gotta figure out how on Earth to export your calendars as iCal's and your contacts as Vcards.  Legit, that's a HUGE pain and I lost a lot of hair on that end of the world!!!
I've been on a crisis recovery mission lately for a TON of places around here so I'm not here all of the time, but if you run into anything else just drop a new post in here and someone will be able to get you.
Good luck!
You will have to excuse my posts not having actual links in them.  I'm blind and can never find that insert hyperlink button LoL.  If you, or someone you know has vision problems check out The Tiki Lab.