Author Topic: Outgoing mails sent using Zentyal Webmail not received by the recipient  (Read 1930 times)

padmasirius

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi,
 I tried sending an email from Zentyal Webmail to an external email account (such as gmail) but not received by the recipient.  The mail log shows as Status="Sent", Event="Successful Messages" and Message Type="Sent".  Smarthost is not configured.  I can able to receive emails from external email accounts in Zentyal Webmail.  I did checked the firewall ports in my router and it has been opened for 25, 465 and 587.  Please advise on this scenario.

Thanks
Padma

BerT666

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Outgoing mails sent using Zentyal Webmail not received by the recipient
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:00:58 pm »
Howdy,

did you check your IP against a blacklist? Or do you have a dynamic IP?

In the past I had the problem, that my IP range was blacklisted, because several SPAM Attacks from my carriers IP Range (Unitimedia Germany)...

If you send to someone who is able to see the Mail Logs on the other side, this could really help you ;-)
Could also be something like SPF...

Regards

Thomas

padmasirius

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:16:24 pm »
Hi Thomas,
Yes, i am using dynamic IP and my IP leased out from ISP has not blacklisted upon checking via the following URL http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check.  I tried using smarthost configured with smtp.gmail.com:587 with login credentials of my gmail account and it works.  The recipient (a gmail account) successfully received my email.  But the recipient sees the From email ID as the smarthost's gmail account credentials and not the actual email ID which sent it.  Please provide your valuable pointers on this.

Thanks & Regards
Padma

BerT666

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:32:22 pm »
OK, there are two different "problems":

first: It is not a good idea to setup a mail server with a dyn IP, many providers check the RDNS => you won't have one. PÜlus if a mail server uses "old" DNS data, mails sent to your server may not arrive (IP Change).

second: If you use a smarthost (in your case gmail) the mail will be sent with this information as sender.

Best is to get a REAL Firewall and a static IP Adress.

For Excample: I get a static IP from my ISP. WAN-Data is entering through a FritzBox and forwarded to a Sophos UTM. Here I can define (internal) networks, forwarding rules,... And I also could use it as a smarthost. In this case, the UTM is like your Mailserver (plus SPAM Management, Virus checking,...).

Some Domain resellers offer free mailboxes. These could be used as Smarthosts, but it is an admin job I would not make (remember to change Passwords for Box and User,...)

Regards

Thomas