Author Topic: (Solved) Setup As additional domain controller fails  (Read 2412 times)

cpt.charisma

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
(Solved) Setup As additional domain controller fails
« on: February 02, 2016, 11:10:58 pm »
I figured this out by myself finally.  I'm adding it here since I couldn't find any help when searching for it.

Error is " The following modules failed while saving their changes.  Their state is unknown: samba"

In the logs ( /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log ) the relevant error is "Error: Command output: Usage: samba-tool domain join..."

In this case it was caused by the way the script reads the domain admin password.  It ends up not putting quotes around it, so any password containing spaces or possibly other 'special' characters will cause the setup script to fail.  Changing the password to something without special chars will fix this error.

If your password isn't the problem, look for other information that may be passed to the samba-tool command without proper quoting (server names, domain, other settings, etc. ).

happnatious1

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved) Setup As additional domain controller fails
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 02:42:11 am »
Newbie here, loaded zentyal community (latest addition) about a week ago and have been struggling to join it to my sbs2011 install as a backup domain controller. Suddenly, tonight as I'm messing with it, again, ready to give up, an update pops up, I figure what the heck, worth a try. Bam! It's working! as soon as the update finished my users and groups populated. logs were all related to login issues. I don't know if I want to kill or kiss someone. I hope this isn't typical of the zentyal experience, I don't think my heart could take it.

roman10

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved) Setup As additional domain controller fails
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:33:58 pm »
I'm in a similar situation - though I have checked the join - which appears to be OK...

The issue from my end is that the nsupdate is failing to save changes - sometimes with a SERVFAIL message, sometimes with a REFUSED message.

I have seen people with this issue over and over - and have yet to see a resolution that works for me - does anyone out there have any ideas?

I'm running 4.2 - and am getting somewhat frustrated...

Thanks in advance...