Author Topic: how to update to sogo 3  (Read 5709 times)

mtita

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
how to update to sogo 3
« on: February 02, 2016, 01:54:12 pm »
hello ...
i use zentyal 4.0 , everything is working good but i want to upgrade sogo to vr 3 i looked at sogo website and there is a package for ubuntu 14.04 i really want to use the new features in sogo 3 but want to know if i installed this package would it break my system ??
and forgive if my English isn't the best  :D 

trysomething

• Zen Warrior
  • Founder of The Tiki Lab
    • View Profile
    • The Tiki Lab | Bridging the gap between technology and vision impairment!
Re: how to update to sogo 3
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:49 pm »
If you notice Zentyal is pretty good about adding updates via the software management system.  Since Sogo, Openchange, Samba and Mail are so tightly connected I would suggest against trying to force the install.
If you REALLY want to do it though I'd suggest doing a backup of EVERYTHING on your server, then doing an image backup.  This way if things go wrong you just need to spend a couple of hours restoring everything instead of an entire night or so struggling.  DO NOT SKIP THE STEP OF IMAGING AND BACKING UP!!!!!
Once you have that all tied up go check this out:
http://sogo.nu/support/faq/article/how-to-install-sogo-on-ubuntu.html

After that point I have no clue if it will work since Zentyal uses stub files and the Sogo install is dependent on those.  If you install a new version of Sogo from the Sogo Repo then it may or may not work at all.  So really it comes down to how much the new features are worth, if it works it's great but if it doesn't then you're stuck with a broken system and having to restore everything.
Either way, good luck to you.
You will have to excuse my posts not having actual links in them.  I'm blind and can never find that insert hyperlink button LoL.  If you, or someone you know has vision problems check out The Tiki Lab.

mtita

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:48 am »
first ... thank you for your concern
second please tell me how to make a full image backup

mtita

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:58:25 pm »
now I've installed sogo 3 and everything is working good but when i send any mail from the web interface i got proxy error message

trysomething

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:39:31 pm »
In normal Zentyal configurations you have the "stub files" that do special configuration for Sogo (and other modules too).
/usr/share/Zentyal/stubs -> inside are directories with module names like "Openchange" and inside of those are the "stubs".
Stub files have almost the same name as regular files like sogo.conf, but end with .mas - so /usr/share/Zentyal/stubs/openchange/sogo.conf.mas actually rewrites /etc/default/sogo (pretty sure that's the right combination).
In the original stubs you see things set to <% domain %> or <% hostname %> instead of "example.lan" or "server01".
To modify these files you have to create the directory /etc/Zentyal/stubs, then you create the directory for the module you want to tweak - for example you'd run the following commands:
sudo mkdir /etc/Zentyal/stubs
sudo mkdir /etc/Zentyal/stubs/openchange

After you can copy your original stub file over and modify it as needed.

In your case you've installed Sogo as a package that is not related to Zentyal and it's likely that in one of the many, many files the read/write permissions are incorrect.  You likely need to do some digging on Sogo configuration files and find ones owned by root - I think that several need to be owned by ebox.
You CANNOT just go and do a recursive ownership change without wrecking pretty much everything though.
So I'd suggest going into /usr/share/Zentyal/stubs and looking inside the openchange directory and possibly the samba directory too, I don't believe there's a Sogo directory in there anymore.  Once you've nailed that down then just find all of the files that have something to do with Sogo, figure out where it's original is (i.e. /usr/share/Zentyal/stubs/openchange/sogo.mas would probably originally be in /etc/sogo/sogo or something to that effect), check permissions and ownership and set the owner to ebox and permissions to 0644.  Once you've figured all of that out then restart openchange:
sudo service Zentyal openchange restart

and then try to use the webmail.
Good luck.
You will have to excuse my posts not having actual links in them.  I'm blind and can never find that insert hyperlink button LoL.  If you, or someone you know has vision problems check out The Tiki Lab.

dmatic

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:20:01 am »
Hi mtita

Did you find a solution how to update sogo to version 3.x (Zentyal 4.2, Ubuntu 14.04)?

Thank you

frx11

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:53:20 pm »
hi,

i added the sources of sogo v3 at the install.
it seems to work. active sync wont.
so i edit the source to nightly.
now (today) looks good.

backup first !!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:00:31 pm by frx11 »

pcready.cl

• Zen Samurai
  • Zentyal Installer in Chile
    • View Profile
    • PC Ready Chile SpA
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 06:56:31 pm »
hi,

i added the sources of sogo v3 at the install.
it seems to work. active sync wont.
so i edit the source to nightly.
now (today) looks good.

backup first !!!

Can you give me a step by step how you did?
Email: contacto@pcready.cl
Teléfono: (+56 32) 314 0883
Web: https://www.pcready.cl

frx11

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 10:20:53 pm »
install zentyal(ubuntu)userdef
terminal
source add
deb http://inverse.ca/ubuntu-v3 trusty trusty
pinning source
config zentyal domain virtual doamin user etc
over web(admin)interface
after adding sogo-activesync wont work
adding source
deb http://inverse.ca/ubuntu-nightly-v3 trusty trusty
webmailer interface is sogo-v3

hope dont forgot something
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:24:33 pm by frx11 »

Nnik-nbg

• Zen Apprentice
  • FanaticsIT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 11:13:02 am »
Hi there,
Does somebody  know, when it is planned to integrate Sogo 3 to Zentyal? It is much better from the user experience and feature-set ..

thanks
Nnik

ommesh.amit

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 06:00:45 pm »
Hi all Zentyalists :)

I am planning to upgrade SOGO V2.3.0 to V3.0 on my production zentyal server.

Do you guys have a complete step by step procedure to do this ?

I am using MYSQL database.

Many thanks for your replies !

My best

trysomething

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 10:25:00 pm »
1.  Wait until Zentyal releases the upgrade
2.  Enjoy a working Zentyal server in the meantime.

Zentyal modules are built with other modules tied into their configuration.  For example the stub files in the sogo and openchange directories overwrite parts of the configuration files for Sogo because when Zentyal installs it the original config files are ownded by the Ebox user/group.  If you just go and install it as a root user then Ebox doesn't have permission to write to the config files.  Beyond that it doesn't have everything in the correct place to know what to write where.
So even though someone wants to go tinkering with different versions of existing modules it's never a good idea unless you're using a VM and you can roll back a snapshot or you have a current, working image of your TEST server - DON'T DO IT ON A PRODUCTION MACHINE.
For the record Zentyal Community Edition isn't meant for production machines anyways, but if you're going to bend that rule don't bend the other rule LoL

ommesh.amit

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 06:18:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Yes I am a little bit stuck over here.

I am not upgrading nor installing things round and about. Man this is my production DC.

My main problems are :

Sogo bugs => i have to update sogo but sogo is also bugged. For example, via mobile devices, the Reply-All function doesn't work. It sends only to the sender :s

Zentyal Webmail => today I cannot download attachments as I am getting errors and I read that it is related to Sogo.

Well, you see, I'm kinda stuck.

I will be installing from scratch the latest Zentyal on another VM  and this I hope will solve some problems .... I hope !