Author Topic: Zentyal configuration/design/setup question  (Read 1103 times)

sappel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal configuration/design/setup question
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:58:22 am »
Hello everyone,

after looking around for quite some time I gave Zentyal a try a few weeks back, while I was waiting for an Outlook-Backup thing to finish...
I got it up and running in no time (using VirtualBox) and I like it :)

But at one point I wasn't sure how to handle things properly: Similar to the MS SBS you can choose wether to use a FQDN with e.g. yourdomain.com or yourdomain.local. For the mailserver part usually I would set up the MX record and use the server directly as mailserver (including static ip etc).
If I configure yourdomain.local I usually would configure a SMTP relay for sending + a pop3/imap fetcher to get the mails for the users. The users would have a mailaccount user1@yourdomain.local and additionally for sending user1@yourdomain.com.
I didn't find a way to configure the second version...using a .local domain + sending mails with @yourdomain.com. My actual mailserver (postfix+dovecot on a rootserver) didn't allow sending from user1@yourdomain.local

Is this only a SMTP-auth issue?

I actually tried to mix both versions above: I configured my testmaschine with yourdomain.com and still set up the SMTP relay to the actual mailserver of "yourdomain.com". Additionally I configured the POP3 receiving for the users....
The result was: I was able to send using user1@yourdomain.com even I was running zentyal on a home server without static IP etc. The SMTP relay allowed connecting and sending, since I the users authenticated with the correct login data...well, at least my SMTP relay.
What if a mailserver doesn't use mailadress+pw as authentication, but someusernamewithoutdomain+pw?

I'd be happy to get some hints how to use Zentyal in a small office environment in a combination with an external mailserver that actually handles the maildomains.

Thanks in advance,
sappel

sappel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal configuration/design/setup question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:07:31 am »
anyone? :/

sappel

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal configuration/design/setup question
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:09:34 am »
I'm still hoping someone can give me his/her ideas...