Author Topic: Is there a Graphical Interface loaded with teh standard eBox debian distibution?  (Read 1787 times)

BillF

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm fairly new to the Linux world so much easier to do things from the graphical interface. I tried apt-get install x-window-system but it said that it was not available from this source?

Also, I have two network cards in the box and have one connected to the outside world (eth0) at least from ifconfig that is what it looks like, then I want eth1 connected to my internal router. I did ifconfig 192.168.2.2 to assign the IP address to eth1 but I can't ping that address from an internal machine. If I reboot the system the change is lost. I had looged on a root and tried editing #vi /etc/network/interfaces but when I tried saving the file it said that it was read only. Do I need to change the attribute of the file?

Is there something else necessary?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:39:18 pm by BillF »

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
I'm fairly new to the Linux world so much easier to do things from the graphical interface. I tried apt-get install x-window-system but it said that it was not available from this source?
You need to change the source list in /etc/apt/sources.list to add the following line:
Code: [Select]
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib
Then run the following commands to install, for example Gnome or KDE graphic environment:
Code: [Select]
# apt-get update
 # apt-get install gnome/kde

Also, I have two network cards in the box and have one connected to the outside world (eth0) at least from ifconfig that is what it looks like, then I want eth1 connected to my internal router. I did ifconfig 192.168.2.2 to assign the IP address to eth1 but I can't ping that address from an internal machine. If I reboot the system the change is lost. I had looged on a root and tried editing #vi /etc/network/interfaces but when I tried saving the file it said that it was read only. Do I need to change the attribute of the file?

Is there something else necessary?
If you're using eBox, all these network configuration settings are set using the Web UI. Set the static IP addresses under Net -> Interfaces. Then, save changes and eBox will do the work for you.

Hope this helps.
My secret is my silence...