Author Topic: Using Zentyal only as an Exchange replacement  (Read 1210 times)

user1216

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Using Zentyal only as an Exchange replacement
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:52:42 am »
Hi guys
I’ve some genial questions about Zentyal project with the exchange implementation.
My scenario:
I need Zentyal only as an Exchange Server with the active sync support. I’ve a Windows Server 2012 as a primary domain controller. I will manage all the group policies with the active directoy. I will take the Zentyal server as a domain member server without the secondary domain controller function. I didn’t find this configuration in the current Zentyal 3.5 configuration. I was able to configure the Zentyal server only as a secondary domain controller.
The other point:
I will take the Zentyal server behind my NAT firewall. I don’t need a second interface as a external interface. To my way of thinking I need only a internal interface in my trusted network. I was not able to configure openchange without a separate external interface in my test environment.
I know that the Zentyal project focused the replacement of the MS small business server. And I know that these features are not implemented in the Microsoft SBS. But I’m sure that some people have the same scenario like me.
I would be very pleased for all Tips and comments
Thanks in advance

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Using Zentyal only as an Exchange replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:28:49 pm »
Hello:

Zentyal will need to be a DC as it needs to modify (extend) LDAP schema in order to add Exchange attributes. A server member of the domain cannot do this, so Zentyal needs to be a DC, and actually, it needs to have FSMO role Schema Master.

vmb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Using Zentyal only as an Exchange replacement
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:10:40 pm »
I am hopeful that Zentyal (OpenChange) only needs to be on a Samba4 PDC during installation so that the necessary schema extensions for 'Exchange' can be added to Active Directory. When everything has settled down and replication is working I plan to transfer the FSMO roles back to my original PDC and demote Zentyal to a member server.

I'm going to test my theory by recreating my environment with three VirtualBox VMs: PDC, BDC and Zentyal 4.1 . Has anyone else tried this already?