Author Topic: samba config not controlled by ebox?  (Read 1690 times)

tankduck

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
samba config not controlled by ebox?
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:27:12 pm »

Hi,
bit of a strange problem, well very strange to me but I'm a noob on this. I created all my users and shares in ebox, testing them with a username I gave access to the shares. I then editted the smb.conf file (the actual samba one in etc/samba/) so that it showed logon.vbs instead of bat for the logon script. Now basically I am having issues with the users access of the shares. I put all the users in a group, and gave the group access to the shares. The original test username can still do everything fine, however the other users that have been added to the group cannot access shares with their username/passwords. In ebox if I change a users password it changes it for when it logs onto the domain, however I assume ebox is not telling samba that this group can access these shares. If I open smb.conf then I see that the test username is the only one listed under 'valid users'.

Heeeelp.

Thanking everyone in advance, as i'm getting in trouble for this :(

p.s. would this be a reason for the profiles (except the test profile) not being able to get their roaming profiles off the server?

Thanks again

tankduck

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: samba config not controlled by ebox?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:16:55 am »
ok, after manually adding permissions on samba.conf last night to allow users to get into file shares (this was not overwritten upon restart, which I thought was supposed to happen) everything worked, roaming profiles didn't work properly, don't know if that had anything to do with it. Am I best off noting down all the settings for ebox and formatting and reinstalling?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:25:19 am »
Hi,

Let me explain how file overwriting works. If you ever modify a configuration file controlled by eBox, eBox will detect that if it tries to overwrite and it won't do it unless you explicitly tell it to do so.

tankduck

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:46:08 am »
so how would I explicitly tell it to overwrite the samba.conf file? As I don't ideally want to start all over again with a fresh install if at all possible :(

tankduck

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:22:58 pm »
sorry I'm lost, I have been adding users and such to the file share in ebox and it wasn't affecting anything, so I had to manually do it, which sort of defeats the point of ebox so is there anyway that I can make ebox take over the config again?

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 01:45:32 am »
Is it possable to allow local users administration rights in cups.  IE tie the configuration to the local network port?  I had to go in and manually change the cupsd.conf file as shown below in order to administrate my printer.  Also would it be possible to move the option to configure using cups under the main printer tab so a printer does not need to be added in order to configure using cups.

eBox cupsd.conf
Code: [Select]
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow @Local
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>

<Location /printers>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from @IF(eth0)
</Location>

Modified Version
Code: [Select]
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow @Local
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>

<Location /printers>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from @IF(eth0)
</Location>