Author Topic: NetBIOS over VPN  (Read 1622 times)

expertgeeks

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
NetBIOS over VPN
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:22:18 pm »
Using Zentyal 4.1.3. Until recently the name resolution was working over VPN without issue, although the nmbd service wouldn't start automatically. I followed the suggestion here to get it to autostart at boot (which didn't work incidentally). I have since reverted the changes, rebooted the server but still cannot access the server/samba using the network name over a VPN connection. I've also tried removing and recreating the network object, removing and re-adding the advertised networks in the VPN configs.

nslookup of the network name on the server gives the correct IP. IP access to the samba shares works fine. Setting the server name and IP in the local hosts file works, but using the server name without doing so returns nothing. Before I start breaking out the backups, PLEASE does anyone have suggestions how I can fix this ?

expertgeeks

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NetBIOS over VPN
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:38:07 am »
I've also tried enabling 'Allow client-to-client connections' which correctly shows the other computers connected via VPN, so broadcast/name resolution messages are not being blocked. It still won't show the server in the network though.

smbtree throws up; resolve_wins: WINS server resolution selected and no WINS servers listed. Shouldn't Zentyal samba act as the WINS server ?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:20:43 am by expertgeeks »

expertgeeks

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:33:25 pm »
*bump*

cpservicespb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:33:14 pm »
What Vpn server/protocol do you use ?

expertgeeks

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »
Just the default offered through the Zentyal GUI. OpenVPN TAP adapter & TLS. It's just the server that's not broadcasting its presence over the VPN, when I allow client-client connections I can see the other machines connected to the VPN so I know the info isn't getting blocked by the firewall.

cpservicespb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 04:32:06 pm »
I use l2tp/ikev2 connections type that is quite more difficult for broadcast/browsing list creation.
So, as I understand, you should or have to use arp proxy and the same address space.
But I use Samba4 quite deep customizing by me to become multi workgroup NetBios name resolution/browsing list maintaining.