Poll

Initial  configuration wizard is not accepting the NETBios name

NetBIOS hostname
1 (100%)
Secondary Domain Controller
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Adding an additional domain controller NETBios character problem  (Read 2457 times)

honthraj

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm attempting to setup a add a server to a domain as an additional domain controller at install

But each time I attempt to do so, I am getting the following error message.

"The input contains invalid characters.  All characters, plus these non alphanumeric chars: ={},/.?%&+:-@ and spaces are allowed"

The name I was using was "lady-dorma".  According to the error - this shouldn't be an error, since the domain name doesn't include any characters that are not listed within the above description by the error message.  The documentation itself contains a Netbios domain name including a dash, so I am not sure why the hostname I've selected isn't being accepted?

trysomething

• Zen Warrior
  • Founder of The Tiki Lab
    • View Profile
    • The Tiki Lab | Bridging the gap between technology and vision impairment!
Re: Adding an additional domain controller NETBios character problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:53:12 am »
So your keyboard has 2 -'s on it.  It's seriously a long shot, but have you tried using the other one?  I was up really late one night and that actually worked for me in a similar situation.  Of course I was REALLY far into the sleep deprived, probably shouldn't be working on things mode so I could have TOTALLY messed my first try up too LoL.
Another potential fix (sorry I don't have some more info on this one) is that sometimes you have to put something goofy in the place of a character.  For example when mounting a network drive in Linux you canpt put a space, you have to put something like \400 or something.  Maybe you have to find the translation for "-".
I know it's not much help, but hopefully something breaks it loose for you.
You will have to excuse my posts not having actual links in them.  I'm blind and can never find that insert hyperlink button LoL.  If you, or someone you know has vision problems check out The Tiki Lab.

honthraj

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:09:49 pm »
I'll try both your suggestions - thanks.  Just wondering if by "\400" are you referring to the ASCII or ANSCI code?

trysomething

• Zen Warrior
  • Founder of The Tiki Lab
    • View Profile
    • The Tiki Lab | Bridging the gap between technology and vision impairment!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 01:26:53 am »
Sorry to get back so slowly, yes I was referring to it - just been burning the candle at both ends for so long my brain's kind of fried.  Did you ever get this resolved?
You will have to excuse my posts not having actual links in them.  I'm blind and can never find that insert hyperlink button LoL.  If you, or someone you know has vision problems check out The Tiki Lab.