Author Topic: Old features of zentyal version also in 4.1?  (Read 1537 times)

natsoy

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Old features of zentyal version also in 4.1?
« on: August 29, 2015, 04:00:43 am »
hello! i just downloaded zential 4.1 developer edition and i would like to install services such as web filtering which is available in  zentyal 2.2, network monitoring which is available in 3.5 and other services like disabling usb function on users. can i install all these kinds of services on zentyal 4.1? or do i need to download separate versions of zentyal versions on seperate machines(virtual) in order to enable those services?

sorry for noob questions, new user of zentyal here and a beginner in linux scene. thanks in advance! :D

expertgeeks

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Old features of zentyal version also in 4.1?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:57:53 pm »
Some of the functionality has been dropped in the recent versions of Zentyal so that the devs can concentrate on 'core' functions that they deem more important.. As you suggest, you can run virtual machines to take over the functions that you're missing in the new version. Wouldn't recommend running old versions of Zentyal though because the security updates won't be available for the version of ubuntu it's build on won't be maintained forever.. You might better off going for a base debian distro and setting that up for the extra functions instead.

The 'official' zentyal way is to use the contrib modules. The contrib repo modules aim to add in additional functionality to the base Zentyal distro. Have a look here for wiki information about https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Building_and_maintaining_a_contrib_Zentyal_module and the contrib github repo. Having said that, the wiki refers to Zentyal 3.5 and there have been requests from communtiy members for info on building contrib modules for Zentyal v4.0+ and there's not been much response sadly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:03:15 pm by expertgeeks »