Author Topic: VPN error  (Read 1198 times)

KJackson50

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
VPN error
« on: May 26, 2015, 09:42:53 am »
Hello everyone,

I seem to be having an issue with getting connected to my network through VPN remotely. It seems like everything is set up correctly on the server side but I could be wrong, here is what I get when trying to do OpenVPN on my windows client.

apiening

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: VPN error
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 09:26:15 pm »
Hi KJackson50,

that looks like your client couldn't even get a connection to the server. Please can you check if you have opened/forwarded port 1194 (udp or tcp, depends on your server configuration)?
You can check if your openvpn server is accepting connections with nmap or simply with telnet.
Also have a look at the openvpn log file, a connection attempt should be logged there.

expertgeeks

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:12:44 pm »
That's all excellent advice.. When you try to connect the VPN do you get an 'UNDEF' connection in the VPN section of the management pages ? If so, then the connection is proceeding but the server is refusing authentication and you should look at the configuration of the VPN server or your local bundle.

Did you manage to get it connected KJackson50 ? If not, post some logs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:14:18 pm by expertgeeks »

calipso1929

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:21:38 pm »
Good afternoon,
I have the problem you mention the UNDEF . Specifically , if I connect with OPENVPN there is no problem , the problem comes when trying to connect asus rt- n16 , your vpn tunneling . When I try to connect the router vpn zentyal tell me the UNDEF . ,
I 'm crazy, I do not know where to look. I can help or give an idea?

calipso1929

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 07:22:02 pm »
Good afternoon,
I have the problem you mention the UNDEF . Specifically , if I connect with OPENVPN there is no problem , the problem comes when trying to connect asus rt- n16 , your vpn tunneling . When I try to connect the router vpn zentyal tell me the UNDEF . ,
I 'm crazy, I do not know where to look. I can help or give an idea?

expertgeeks

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 11:28:22 am »
As root, take a look in /var/log/openvpn/ and tail the log file before you connect. Then you can see all the logging for the connection. There should be two active logs status-<VPN Name>.log and <VPN Name>.log, it's the second one you want;

tail -f /var/log/openvpn/<VPN-Name>.log

have a look in your log files and see what your logs are called, replace <VPN-name> accordingly. Try connecting your router and see what errors are thrown up in the process.