Author Topic: [SOLVED]Zentyal 2.0 join a win7 client to local domain  (Read 1704 times)

Zorus

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]Zentyal 2.0 join a win7 client to local domain
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:17:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

first of all: i´m german, so i hope you guys will understand what i´m saying ;)
and on top i´m new to zentyal, everything i know is based on what i have read in the forums so far ;)
i recently started working with a network where a zentyal 2.0 server in running. it provides file-sharing for a couple users with winxp clients. they want to upgrade them to win7 clients. so i tried connecting my personal notebook as a test to the local domain (which is called "itmclabor") and i wasnt able to do it.
I go to System properties and click on "change domain", i enter the name "itmclabor" and a window for username and passwort pops up. But no matter what i enter here, it always ends up in the message: "the domain does not exist or is not available anymore"

i have tried some things out:
synchronizing the time on server and client
set the ip and dns for the client, dns ip is zentyal ip
tried to find the "domain admins"-group, but it was not there. i wanted to add the group by myself but got the message: "this groud already exists". so it must be there but i cannot see it...is there a way to look up who is in the group?
the root-user, who i use to login to zentyal and to unlock all administrator-rights at the server does also not work to join the domain.

also i cannot find any guides on the 2.0 version. i somehow dont want to install it all new on a higher version if possible ("never change a running system")
so i hope to find someone who can help me with this problem.

thanks to everybody for reading this and thinking about my case ;)

greetings from Germany
Alexander
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:36:34 am by Zorus »

robb

Re: Zentyal 2.0 join a win7 client to local domain
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:57:23 pm »
Be aware that Zentyal 2.0 is VERY old. It runs on Ubuntu 10.04 and that will be deprecated soon is already deprecated. http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2015/03/18/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-reaches-end-of-life-on-april-30-2015/

Try to add the pc to the domain first before you join the domain. This might work.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:10:34 pm by robb »

Zorus

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:14:05 am »
Hi,

that didnt work...any other idea?

robb

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:18:37 pm »
Another thing to consider: Zentyal 2.0 uses Samba3 and not Samba4. I know from the past there were troubles with W7 clients in Zentyal 2.0. However, I couldn't find a related topic in a quick search on the forums and unfortunately the old trac environment is offline.

Mittelerde

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile

nwieck

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 12:57:33 am »
I ran into this issue when I tried joining to my domain.  you need to use the full domain like "itmclabor.net" instead of just the "itmclabor".  I now use the full name for the domain name and have not had any issues since.  Hope this works for you.

Zorus

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 10:35:40 am »
@Mittelerde  That worked!

for everyone: just follow the link posted above and you shoud be fine :)

Thank you all for helping me out!

Greetings Zorus