Author Topic: [WORKAROUND] Zentyal 4.1 (14.04.2): br0 for LXC containers with Single NIC  (Read 1959 times)

GraysonPeddie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm running Zentyal 4.1 Development Edition in a home server with a custom setup. For a home server with a single NIC, I want to be able to setup br0 as my bridge interface for eth0.

According to the Zentyal 4.0 Advanced Network Configuration manual, it looks like you need to have more than one physical NICs for bridging to work.

But have a look at my /etc/network/interfaces configuration that I have used in the past before switching to Zentyal:

Code: [Select]
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1
dns-search graysonpeddie.lan
        bridge_ports eth0

iface eth0 inet manual
        up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
        up ip link set $IFACE promisc on
        down ip link set $IFACE promisc off
        down ifconfig $IFACE down

So then, how can I get the setup the way I want using Zentyal? Here is an example of how I setup networking for an LXC container:

Code: [Select]
lxc.network.type = veth
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.link = br0

Update: Okay. I am surprised to see that bridging is removed in Zentyal 4.1, so I'm planning to downgrade to 4.0 and mark my thread as solved.

Update: It's been three days since I got bridging working in Zentyal 4.0, so I will simply mark my thread as [WORKAROUND]. 4.1 does not have anything new for home users anyway.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:11:49 am by GraysonPeddie »

GraysonPeddie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    Okay, in a virtual machine, I have tested an upgrade from Zentyal 4.0 to 4.1. This is how I follow the steps:

• Install Zentyal 4.0 in a virtual machine.
    • Set eth0 to bridged mode.
      You should have br1 listed next to eth0.
    • Set br1 to DHCP.
    • Observe /etc/network/interfaces in the LXTerminal.
      "br1" is there.
    • Perform upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1.
    • Reboot your virtual machine.
    • Observe /etc/network/interfaces in the LXTerminal.
      "br1" is gone.

I would like to keep Zentyal up-to-date (4.1) but I might try out Amahi Server (not suitable for small/medium businesses since I'm a home user). I don't know if it supports bridged mode and DNS server with configurable hostnames, along with DHCP server with configurable "reserved" IP addresses based on MAC addresses, and RADIUS server if I so choose, but I'm not looking forward to creating an Amahi account if I only want to test Amahi out in a VM before I put it to use in my home server -- hopefully with all the partitions intact. And even use PPAs since I use my home server as my DVR (MythTV). I do have a ton of experience with command line interface, but anything with a GUI can help me get my work done.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:09:39 am by GraysonPeddie »