Author Topic: Several attempts at 4.1 install - failed everytime!  (Read 1187 times)

philtrim

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Several attempts at 4.1 install - failed everytime!
« on: May 29, 2015, 07:34:25 pm »
I was really excited about installing 4.1 from the ISO.  The first time I tried, I had problems
with GRUB partitioning the hard drive (because of a previous install of a Linux os)  Second time,
after reboot in post install, I get a graphics issue where the GUI crashes.  Third attempt, failed to
read the CD rom at various places, and last attempt, would not pull an IP to download install packages.

I decided to burn a Ubuntu 14.04 ISO, it booted right up, pulled an IP from my internet connection, and is humming right through the install. I am going to try to install Zentyal after Ubuntu completes....

This has been a nightmare.

Should I have tried 3.2 instead?

apiening

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Several attempts at 4.1 install - failed everytime!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:18:07 pm »
Hi philtrim,

since you had various problems I'll try to address them one by one:
I had problems with GRUB partitioning the hard drive (because of a previous install of a Linux os)
In the case you want to install zentyal as your only primary operation system, and ONLY in this case, you could try to reset the partition table to get around this problem. You can use the partition tool of your choice, delete all partitions and write the partition table to the disk. Another option would be overwriting the first blocks of your drive, including the partition table:
Code: [Select]
dd if=/dev/random of=/device/path bs=512 count=1024
Second time, after reboot in post install, I get a graphics issue where the GUI crashes.
So your installation finished successfully? You should check the xorg logfile after the gui crash. However, did this happen only once or after every reboot?
Third attempt, failed to read the CD rom at various places, and last attempt, would not pull an IP to download install packages.
This sounds like a media or cd-drive issue. You could check the media for example dd the whole content of the cd to an image file and wait for read errors. You can also reburn the image or do a usb based installation (which is even faster by the way) to get around these kind of problems.
and last attempt, would not pull an IP to download install packages
Can you please switch to a console and check for internet connection right at the beginning of the installer? If it really have not pulled an ip you can try to do that manually with
Code: [Select]
dhcpcd eth0 (replace eth0 with your network device name). If even this fails, you most propably have an issue with your dhcp server. You can assign an ip manually with ifconfig and ad a default router with route add after this.

I am going to try to install Zentyal after Ubuntu completes....
That's how I installed zentyal virtualized in a OpenVZ environment, because there's no zentyal image for openvz but for ubuntu it is. It worked flawlessly for me.

Should I have tried 3.2 instead?
I wouldn't suggest that. Since you should update your system to the latest version anyway, I would prefer starting with the most recent version and update from there.

Andreas