Author Topic: Unable to browse websites within domain  (Read 972 times)

area47

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Unable to browse websites within domain
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:27 pm »
Hi,

So I have installed Zentyal 4 and as far as I can tell all my machines are able to join the domain.

When browsing websites within the domain by host name I lose access after about 5 minutes and I receive a server not found. If I browse by IP address there is no problem.

I have no idea if this is useful information but the machines within the domain are Windows 7, NAS4Free and Ubuntu 14. The web server are both lighttpd and Nginx and the browses are Firefox and iron/chrome. Sign in is with Active Directory. There is no contact with the internet

I don’t what what to add but if it's explain how to get the information I will provide it.

Thank you for your support

area47

hotsummer55

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to browse websites within domain
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:15:12 pm »
have you tried basic test
from terminal ping the ip of server
ping the domain name you are tying in web browser

you could try from server
dig command
from administrator root console
apt-get install dig

then run dig domain name and see if it answers correctly
what are the setting on the windows 7 terminal/ dhcp fix ect on all the tabs in networking

area47

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:19:40 pm »
Thank you hotsummer55 for responding

My main work computer is a Linux machine, (Ubuntu 14),

In terminal if I ping ip address it is fine,
Ping hostname returns 'Unknown Hostname'  (duh! never even thought of that)

Thanks for the heads up on the dig command, it's going to take a while for me to understand all the crap it returns.

Just to be through, as per your suggestion, I'll check the windows settings but I not overly worried about that part.

Thank you for your support

area47

area47

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 10:14:32 pm »
Hi,

The domain is bbe.worx, the hostname of the machine that zentyal is installed on is  'linkbox' one of the servers within the domain is 'brewbox' the ip address of brewbox is 192.168.10.13. When I ping the ip address of brewbox from another computer, there is no problem. if I ping brewbox by it's hostname it returns unknown host.

When go to Network > Tools and enter bbe.worx in the Domain Name Resolution I get this

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-3+zentyal-Ubuntu <<>> +time=3 bbe.worx
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 64019
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;bbe.worx.         IN   A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
bbe.worx.      259200   IN   A   192.168.10.10

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
bbe.worx.      900   IN   NS   linkbox.bbe.worx.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
linkbox.bbe.worx.   259200   IN   A   192.168.10.10

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Apr 08 10:50:33 PDT 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 91

I don't know what most of that means but I do see NS linkbox.bbe.worx and the correct IP address which leads me to believe the DNS module is working. (I'm guessing) There is also no reference to CNAME, I don't know what that is but I see it other examples.

I think the information I need in on this page, https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/En/4.0/Domain_Name_System_%28DNS%29 I think the section that applies to me is 'Configuration of an authoritative DNS server with Zentyal'  - None of which I understand. The reason why I have come to this conclusion because after the dozens of different ways of googling this, almost every time the above link is first.

In the picture they have zentyal-domain.lan What I have is bbe.worx and the reason why I have that is because every example I've seen had some letters, a dot, and some letters. If everything up to this point is right, this is where the confusion starts.

I want to add server 'brewbox' to the domain 'bbe.worx' so that DNS can do it's work. I go to DNS > Domains. Is 'brewbox' a domain? No, that doesn't make sense. So I click on host name button and I add 'brewbox' click save.

Then I click on IP address and using the IP address provided by DHCP  click add, then click save. Open up a web browser and enter 'brewbox.bbe.worx, and the web browser tells me  'Server not found'

Since I started this project in December I've able to figure out network cabling, NTP, Active Directory, adding machine to the domain (Linux, windows, BSD), SMB/CIFS setting up user, groups, setting up a web server, VNC and a few other hair pulling tasks. I simple can not get browsing by host name to work.

It sure would be nice to get some help on this.