Author Topic: Zentyal 4.1 available!  (Read 53835 times)

makkk

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 4.1 available!
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 01:33:52 pm »
Removing so basic modules... good luck... I will not upgrade, simple, stay with 4.0 for as long as possible, im looking for replacement (downloading NethServer right now) or go back to Windows Server...

yura.syrov

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »
the gold sponsor establishes the rules... :)

makkk

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 01:53:25 pm »
the gold sponsor establishes the rules... :)

possible, it is (was!) doing Windows Servers job for free :)

Dersch

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 12:44:33 am »
Seems you are removing more and more Moduls why i decided to usw zentyal, i already have the 3rd Server with zentyal planning but 4.1 i will not uae. I dont decided zentyal because oft its exchange feature i decided because oft the varity oft Moduls and nice managing of them. But now zentyal seems to be the wrong for future developing with it. Please go back to the roots before i found alternativ solution.

linkstat

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2015, 07:16:05 am »
Hi to all.
I'm currently testing NethServer as a Zentyal replacement, and looks not so bad. But, I preferr ZeroShell ( http://www.zeroshell.org/ ). The web interface is not so nice as the Zentyal, but in many cases is more powerfull (DHCP, DNS and RADIUS for example). It's free, and have an Add-ons repo, that can be accessed through contributions (puting a link on a website, or posting experiences with Zeroshell on forums, blogs, or making a donation, of course).
If you don't like the new Zentyal directions, and/or NethServer isn't enough for you, so try ZeroShell  :)

Greetings!!!

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:52 am »
Hi,
I looked at ZeroShell. It's OK for those who want a firewall.
In my opinion can't be compared with Zentyal 3.5, 4.0 or even 4.1 and also with NethServer. They are different in many ways.
For now, I use Zentyal 4.0 as multi domain email server only, placed in DMZ on ENDIAN UTM. It works fine.
For this task, multi domain email server only, I think the new version 4.1 is ok (ENDIAN UTM make all filters very well: SMTP proxy, POP3 Proxy).
Till now, I didn't make the upgrade to 4.1. I read on this forum that may be some issues (https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,24917.0.html). Did anyone made the upgrade well?

In this moment I'm testing NethServer. It works fine and the NethServer team is very active on forum.

Best regards,
Gabriel

hgeorge123

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 09:22:25 pm »
One of the reasons that zentyal use is the single sign on having the proxy know of any distro that allows do this with a samba domain

OpenMercuryNet

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Go Host Networks
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 12:59:16 pm »
Reading this thread has been enlightening.

I recently discovered Zentyal - in the past year - and have been extremely happy running it up to 4.0 in my office environment deploying the community edition. So much so I have been in communication with Eloy to become a partner hopefully in the near future when time permits to take the ZeCA exam. Which looking at the existing partners I would be one of the very few, if any, existing Canadian partners offering Zentyal as a solution for SMB huzzah Me.

Knowing now there are some issues with upgrading to 4.1 I wont be making that move anytime soon.

However in my particular environment I actually have a ClearOS - love ClearOS! - box as a dedicated gateway, and Zentyal 4.0 as my DC - which suites me just fine as I wouldn't want my DC on the edge anyway. Am I missing something here? ClearOS provides my Squid and many robust features just fine, what I need behind it is the M$ replacement to integrate AD etc. although ClearOS does this to a good point; I really like the additional capabilities of Zentyal. So for me the two work well together.

Some Questions I have are:

what modules have been dropped from 4.0?
what is the future direction of Zentyal?
Of note is the current book is still at 3.2 sp2 for study. Is there a 4.0 book coming? How will the exam be impacted by the changes?

I'm currently working with a SMB client to replace their EOL M$ 2003 Server with Zentyal - the client will require the AD and Exchange service integration so huzzah Zentyal. I don't want surprises in the future for a production environment that will make me look like I made the wrong choice down the road.

mburillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Mailfilter and Antivirus modules
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 03:02:25 pm »
Hello all,

After all the feedback, we have reconsidered the removal of the "mailfilter" and "antivirus" modules. This functionality is closely related to the "Active Exchange" (Samba + Mail + OpenChange) long term vision of the company, therefore, they will be back later this week.

Regards.
Zentyal Staff - Product Manager

mburillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 03:07:00 pm »
what modules have been dropped from 4.0?
what is the future direction of Zentyal?
Of note is the current book is still at 3.2 sp2 for study. Is there a 4.0 book coming? How will the exam be impacted by the changes?

- HA, jabber, l2tp, squid, trafficshaping

- Active Exchange => Directory, mail and groupware (plus the basic network configuration and web administration of course)

- We expect to have the 4.1 book ready next month
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 03:10:40 pm by mburillo »

pcready.cl

• Zen Samurai
  • Zentyal Installer in Chile
    • View Profile
    • PC Ready Chile SpA
Re: Mailfilter and Antivirus modules
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 03:10:52 pm »
Hello all,

After all the feedback, we have reconsidered the removal of the "mailfilter" and "antivirus" modules. This functionality is closely related to the "Active Exchange" (Samba + Mail + OpenChange) long term vision of the company, therefore, they will be back later this week.

Regards.

Antivirus???

The antivirus does nothing really.

What should maintain is the module "squid" which is very necessary for enterprises, independent of the area, the antivirus solutions for Windows are efficient with SMB, also put on the server seems unnecessary.

They should also keep the Firewall module + Network, if we're really going to use Zentyal as PDC need to take control of the network and DNS.

The Zentyal project has unfortunately been influenced by third parties that have stolen the real sense of the system that was "all in one" efficient and safe.

I regret what is happening, use Zentyal from version 2.x has lost so many features that I had to meet with other system that truth the profile of most of my clients is not suitable for version 4.1.x

I'll have to migrate to new systems as Zentyal is not what it was or promised.
Email: contacto@pcready.cl
Teléfono: (+56 32) 314 0883
Web: https://www.pcready.cl

mburillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 03:25:35 pm »
They should also keep the Firewall module + Network, if we're really going to use Zentyal as PDC need to take control of the network and DNS.

??? Those modules are still there.

pcready.cl

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • PC Ready Chile SpA
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2015, 03:30:28 pm »

??? Those modules are still there.

PPPoE? Ethernet Failover? Ethernet Bonding?

Not really....

mburillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2015, 03:33:13 pm »
That functionality is related with a gateway server, we are not going that direction anymore.

pcready.cl

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • PC Ready Chile SpA
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2015, 03:50:40 pm »
That functionality is related with a gateway server, we are not going that direction anymore.

That is the reason why many use Zentyal, I have no doubt that the work we are haciedo currently is good, the DC Zentyal I liked and quite malleable, but can not and should leave users who have contributed to the developing support for applications, have just removed functions.

They published a roadmap with changes in versions that did not meet the deadlines, but never on that map indicated that changes would have if they had done would have time for options, now only I have so notified me through this forum and an email indicating Zentyal increasingly makes less than they originally to.

Innovation is a process of elections, but have not innovated have only lost credibility.