Author Topic: Zentyal 4.1 available!  (Read 53791 times)

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Zentyal 4.1 available!
« on: March 27, 2015, 11:38:47 am »
Hi all,

The Zentyal Development Team proudly presents Zentyal Server 4.1, a new release with native Microsoft® Exchange protocol implementation and Active Directory interoperability.

This release is completely focused on improving the stability and set of features delivered by the OpenChange module, based on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS to provide the latest stable packages.

Zentyal Server comes in two different flavors: development version, for bleeding edge testing of the latest available features and commercial version for stable production environments.

The Development edition of this new version is available for download at:

http://www.zentyal.org/download

You can check out all the details in the official announcement:

http://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Zentyal_4.1_Announcement

Looking forward your feedback and don't forget more updates and new features are coming among next weeks!
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

sotero

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 4.1 available!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 04:40:01 pm »
No antivirus or mailfilter??

I only use Zentyal as my mail server... looks like I'm gonna have some problems now...  ???

orcoliver

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 08:10:46 pm »
No Squid?  :-\
Most used by me!

mgiammarco

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 11:18:57 pm »
Is squid gone forever or only for this release?
Is an alternative planned?

royceb

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:44:10 pm »
No antivirus or mailfilter??

I only use Zentyal as my mail server... looks like I'm gonna have some problems now...  ???

I'm abit taken aback by how many modules they have cut all in the name of focused development/stability of their core product I am not surprised.   Though there is added work to the mix users have 2 options for filtering if they choose.  You can either pay an online web company like Mailroute to filter the messages then pass them onto you or put up your own filtering solution like Scrolloutf1.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:51:20 pm by royceb »

gerald_FS

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:37:12 am »
Great!   >:(
Elementary core functions are always trimmed and modified.

a) Virus Scanner
b) Mail Filter
c) Squid
d) bundled network connections (bonding)

What is deleted next ???

Because the packets a to c are as involved again in the future?
And most importantly, when?

regards
Gerald

werter

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 04:10:28 pm »

gsiotas

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:24:09 pm »
I agree with werter & gerald_FS.

I have been following Zentyal development since ebox, and looking promising, I decided to install it on my servers since 3.3 release. Since then and especially during the latest 2 releases I have been more that disappointed with the direction of Zentyal team. By removing packets and diminishing features in favor of "stability" will surely lead the community in alternatives. I clearly understand the need of monetizing an open source project but the team should have informed the users of this next "upgrade"/downgrade. There isn't even a mention in the roadmap.

Anyway after testing several alternatives I find the right one for my needs to be nethserver.org

I wish all the luck to the Zentyal team and I hope Zentyal in the future to move towards a more open source philosophy, not just open source source code :)

thomas

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 10:47:09 pm »
I  agree with werter, gerald_FS and gsiotas too

I use Zentyal since the "ebox time" (1.2).
I even tried to promote Zentyal to schools as an "all in one server" as it HAD a lot of network features

But with every new update the community release is trimmed. Over the time a lot of features disappeared (proxy, ids, wan failover, antivirus, web server, traffic shapping, events,  Dynamic DNS etc)

Zentyal is still a great product, but not as a standalone server. Other servers are necessary even in a small network (10-20 computers and devices)

I will too, try to migrate to other more completed (of services) alternatives.
nethserver.org looks promising. It reminds me the reasons I choose Zentyal a few years ago.

fmoreira86

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile

mburillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 03:37:39 pm »
Hello all,

First of all, we understand that old-time Zentyal users are not happy with the current product direction. We have radically changed our focus, and some people joined the project because they liked the original idea, that is inevitable. Now we are developing the only native connector for Microsoft Outlook in a Linux environment, is what makes us unique, our main value (along with a nice interface and integration for the Samba AD) and we don't have the resources to realistically maintain a sizable number of modules that are not related to that scenario. In any case, all the former modules are open source and any volunteer is encouraged to browse the code, maintain it and continue our work:

https://github.com/Zentyal/zentyal/tree/master/contrib

Long story short, we wanted to change our core business, some new friends will come, excited with the new proposal, some old friends will prefer to leave, we thank you all.
Zentyal Staff - Product Manager

indinet

• Zen Apprentice
  • Zentyal Commercial and Development Edition User ..
    • View Profile
    • IndiNet
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 04:24:37 pm »
When you say "old time users" - we have a Commercial Licence bought in December - we bought it because of OpenChange, Mail Filtering etc.  We have not been able to use OpenChange since the disastrous migration, but have been waiting patiently for OpenChange to be usable - we understand that April 2nd is the day.  Now that the core functionality is being removed the recommendation is given not to "upgrade" to Version 4.1 - will this mean that the OpenChange issues will not be resolved.

We bought a Commercial Licence to give us some security, but so far we do not have a usable product, and now it seems that the development we signed up for is being scrapped.

I really hope I have misunderstood - I know the company we bought from are asking the same questions, but with only 2 days to go before we try to migrate again, I would like to know 100%

We are still waiting for a recommended backup solution now that that has also gone - again the worry is that this was to be posted in January.

thanks ...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:30:00 pm by indinet »

mburillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 12:23:02 pm »
Hello,

Regarding the backup solution, there is a tutorial to configure Duplicity since zentyal-backup was no longer maintained:

https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Data_backups_with_Duplicity

For other questions regarding the migration to new versions and features of OpenChange, it is probably much better if you solve these issues through your partner manager/support platform. Forum is for community.
Zentyal Staff - Product Manager

indinet

• Zen Apprentice
  • Zentyal Commercial and Development Edition User ..
    • View Profile
    • IndiNet
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 01:15:00 pm »
Thanks - understood - trying every avenue to try to get answers - getting nothing back.

Will follow up the Duplicity backup ...

regards,

eloy crespo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 03:20:27 pm »
Hello Alex,

I'm Eloy Crespo, Sales Representative at Zentyal. I'm not able to find your Commercial credentials.

Please, contact me if you need any further information. You can also contact info@zentyal.com for further information.

Best regards,

Eloy
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:23:11 pm by eloy crespo »