Author Topic: Urgently/desperately need to migrate a Zentyal 4.0 install  (Read 1340 times)

zippydan

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Urgently/desperately need to migrate a Zentyal 4.0 install
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:48 am »
My Zentyal 3.5 install went haywire for no reason.  Email goes up and down.  Also, I have an external chat server and storage server that authenticate with the domain, and they randomly don't work anywhere.  Sometimes, restarting samba fixes this; sometimes not.

I also noticed when connecting with ftp that the RSA key randomly changes from the old one, to a new one.  I am connecting locally via a LAN and local IP, so I'm sure no one is spoofing the server.

All of this means that our network has been pretty unusable.  I tried updating to Zentyal 4.0 and that just seemed to make everything worse.  It seems fairly obscure to troubleshoot, so for the moment I'm planning to migrate everything to a fresh install.

It seems that migrating the samba/ADC part should be as easy as setting up a new Zentyal, syncing as an ADC, and then promoting the ADC to PDC.

1. How do you promote a Zentyal 4.0 ADC to PDC?

Second, I need to recreate all the openchange emails (holy pain).  2. Is there a way to migrate all the email addresses?

3. Is there a way to migrate all the email mailboxes? (folders and content)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:47:13 am by zippydan »

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Urgently/desperately need to migrate a Zentyal 4.0 install
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:18:01 am »
Hello:

Rather than adding a second server , join it to the domain, transfer FSMO roles to this domain, and drop the first controller, I think I would set up a clean 4.0 server and finally copy /var/lib/private from the old to the new machine. I cannot guarantee it is going to work, but w2orthy giving it a try. Rermber that all boxes must be configured exactly the same, same hostname, same domain, same modules, etc.

In addition to this, in order to move email, as emails are actually stored on /var/vmail (the storage for IMAP) I would suggest using imapcopy or rsync to copy them. Probably your users will need to set up a new profile in Outlook, but looks worthy to try.

Remember  that if you wanted to move calendars/events/addressbooks you will need to make a backup of sogo database and import it into the new server

zippydan

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:40:00 am »
I don't see a /var/lib/private

Do you mean /var/lib/zentyal

?

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:59:43 am »
Sorry,  used z4 path instead of z3.5.

copy /opt/samba4/private

https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Migration_from_3.0_to_3.5/4.0_version,_Single_Domain_Controller

zippydan

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 03:56:43 pm »
the source is z3.5 upgraded to z4.0

the destination will be a fresh z4.0

what path should i use for the upgrade?  on my z4.0(upgraded from z3.5) server, /opt/samba4/private/ does not exist, and neither does /var/lib/private/

edit: ok, it looks like it is /var/lib/samba/private/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:48:45 pm by zippydan »