Author Topic: Total migration  (Read 1534 times)

michele

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bastiano
Total migration
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:11:28 am »
I have one Zentyal 4.1 Domain Controller and one Zentyal 4.1 Additional Domain Controller.
I need to delete the actual DC and transform the ADC into the new DC maintaining users & groups.
I read Total Migration howto https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/En/4.1/Users,_Computers_and_File_Sharing#total-migration but i got this error on ADC:

Code: [Select]
sudo ./ad-migrate
[sudo] password for user:
WARNING: This script will transfer all FSMO roles from the current owners to
         the local server.
         After all roles has been successfully transferred, you can shutdown
         the other domain controllers.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y

Checking server mode...

Checking if server is provisioned...

Synchronizing sysvol share...
Enter admin's password:
syncing    [sysvol] files and directories including ACLs, without DOS Attributes

Transferring FSMO roles...
Transferring Schema Master role from owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=NEGRONI,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=dominio,DC=it
Transferring Domain Naming Master role from owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=NEGRONI,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=dominio,DC=it
ERROR: root command samba-tool fsmo transfer --role naming failed.
Error output: params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/etc/samba/shares.conf"
 ldb_wrap open of secrets.ldb
 ERROR: Failed to initiate transfer of 'naming' role: Failed FSMO transfer: WERR_GENERAL_FAILURE
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/fsmo.py", line 65, in transfer_role
     samdb.modify(m)

Command output: .
Exit value: 255
Transferring PDC Emulation Master role from owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=NEGRONI,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=dominio,DC=it
Transferring RID Allocation Master role from owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=NEGRONI,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=dominio,DC=it
Transferring Infrastructure Master role from owner: CN=NTDS Settings,CN=NEGRONI,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=dominio,DC=it
Migrated successfully!

What's happening? Could someone help me? I need to understand the meaning of this error.
Thanks.
Meteo Radio & Blog
@ Casa Bastiano
www.casabastiano.com

michele

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bastiano
Re: Total migration
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:51 am »
Can i simply switch Additional Domain Controller to Domain Controller under Domain-->Settings on actual ADC?
What will happen to my users, groups and machines?
What's the difference between Total Migration and switch from ADC to DC from Zentyal GUI?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:21:14 am by michele »
Meteo Radio & Blog
@ Casa Bastiano
www.casabastiano.com

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Total migration
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:19:44 pm »
If you do that switch, then samba will be reprovisioned, and you'll lose any user and group you might have created.

Regarding FSMO roles, I would suggest learning regarding them and confirming that the server you are trying to seize roles from has that particular role.