Author Topic: Need basic assistance with the ad-migrate exercise  (Read 1026 times)

meisner

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Need basic assistance with the ad-migrate exercise
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:58:51 pm »
First time posting...been using Zentyal 4.0 (and then 4.1) for a few months now.

I had an environment based on Debian & Samba4 AD for the past year or two. I installed Zentyal 4 with a Server Role of Domain Controller, changed it to an Additional Domain Controller and ran the ad_migrate script, which appears to have worked fine. All roles (and OUs) are now on the Zentyal server.

Everything I found online about migrating from one domain controller to Zentyal never says what to do after the migration. My Zentyal console still says it is an Additional Domain Controller and the Domain controller FQDN is my old Debian server (as well as the Domain DNS server IP).

Before I shut down my old AD server, should I just leave the settings as is on my new Zentyal server? What is the proper cleanup at this point?

N. Balauro

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Need basic assistance with the ad-migrate exercise
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:37:31 pm »
I hope someone can chime in here. Im planning on migrating DCs soon aswell.

As far as I can see, if you run the samba-tool to show the fsmo roles, and they are as expected, you should be good to go.

Im not sure what the zentyal migration script does, but you basically just need to transfer all 5 fsmo roles to the new DC, and follow up with demoting the old dc. There may be bugs to be aware of, see here for more info: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Flexible_Single-Master_Operations_%28FSMO%29_roles

With the new AD the logical idea of a PDC is non-existent, but technically supported by having one host control all 5 FSMOs. So the zentyal dashboard might just be confused and a little misleading... Aslong as you can transfer all roles and demote successfully, there shouldnt be any probs.

Regards.
Zentyal 3.3.10 -- Xen 4.1 Hypervisor -- Intel Xeon 1245V3